Monday, December 10, 2012

December 10 – “DadDad time”

Cailyn spent the night with us Saturday.  She fell asleep as we watched one of the thousands of Christmas specials that have begun to permeate the airways.  Something about a reindeer who was convinced he was the son of one of Santa’s elite special forces crew - the ones who pulled his sleigh.  It was one of those that wasn’t exactly a cartoon.  It wasn’t Claymation, either, but it reminded me of those old Davey and Goliath shows that used to come on back in the day.  It had the usual cheesy plot line.  The kid (or whatever they call a baby reindeer) undergoes all sorts of trials and tribulations to make his way to the North Pole headquarters, only to be rebuffed on his first attempt to connect with his father.  Then he proves himself worthy when he starts flying in a battle with a pack of wolves, his father fesses up, he gets offered a spot in the Christmas Eve reindeer rotation, but he decides to return home and just be happy to be himself, and they all live happily ever after. 

Anybody inspired yet?  Anybody asleep yet?  Fairly boring stuff, I know.  But it was the earliest Cailyn has ever fallen asleep in all the times she has stayed with us.  Made for a quiet evening, but didn’t bode well for anyone sleeping in on Sunday morning.  Not that I would have anyway.  I was up at my usual time.  Earlier, actually.  And as you might have expected, Cailyn joined me not long after 6 a.m.  I asked her what she was doing awake, and she said, “I got up at DadDad time.”  I continued my last minute preparations for church while she puttered around, sometimes climbing into my lap, other times creating opportunities for education on the floor nearby.  Suddenly, she jumped up from the floor and ran to the front door, peering out from behind the glass of the storm door.  I thought she may have seen a cat or dog strolling by, but she stood there only a moment before racing off toward our bedroom.  I was puzzled at best, so I listened for what was to come.  Sure enough, as she burst into our bedroom and leapt onto the bed with Chris, I heard her exclaim, “Nani.  Nani.  It’s daytime.”  Now there’s an announcement for you.  Excitement at dawn (well, at 7 a.m., anyway) for no other reason than … it’s a new day. 

Psalms 139:9-10 says, “If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.”

Father, thank you for … a new day.  Amen.

No comments: