Monday, August 6, 2012

August 6 – “A fall”

I had another of those very strange, out-of-the-blue dreams last night.  We were still living in Denver.  I was working at University Hills Baptist Church again, which is impossible since that church has since been sold and torn to the ground.  And the weird part of the dream?  We had just hired a new youth pastor.  Young man named Justin Bieber.  Where did that come from?  He seemed to be very popular with the students, but I never heard him sing.

My crash to the floor back on Saturday really has taken its toll on me the last two days.  As part of the mission experience for the students at the retreat this weekend, we moved some furniture around at the church.  I was helping carry a desk when it became suddenly apparent that I couldn’t hold it up any longer.  No particular reason that leaps to mind.  I just couldn’t hold it any more.  I struggled to hang on anyway, at least until we could clear the doorway.  But I reached that point where “wanting to” and “trying just a little harder” and “hanging in there just a few more seconds” became meaningless dribble.  The desk took over control of the situation and determined that it was time for us to set it down.  My arms gave out completely.  I lost my balance.  I teetered precariously with a leg actually under the hefty burden.  I barely managed to shift my weight oh-so slightly to avoid flattening my foot, as I fell backward to the floor.  The exertion was draining.  I lay there on the floor, heaving for breath.  The students gathered around to make sure I was OK.  Through labored breaths I assured them I was fine … just quite old, an excuse that has served me well over the course of my own personal physical deterioration.  It took a while regain my composure – and my breath.  I think I stayed down just a bit longer than I really needed to (another tactic I have learned over the years).  Nothing seemed significantly awry, so I finally rejoined the fray and we finished the task at hand.  I did have one request for the mission team.  Don’t tell Mama Chris.  Didn’t do any good.  I tried to casually underplay it all by including mention of “a fall” in the song I wrote describing the weekend events.  Thought I had it buried pretty good.  Chris’ only comment about my creative effort?  “What’s this part about a fall?”  Sigh. 

Psalms 19:8 says, “The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart.”

Father, thanks for the joy that comes through your Word.  And thanks for the insight you give Chris, even when it comes back to challenge me.  Amen.

No comments: