Sunday, August 19, 2012

August 19 – “Football and a wedding”


Another very long night, especially for Chris.  For some reason Mom made the decision that she could not go to bed.  Literally.  Chris followed the usual routine to get her situated for sleep, but before Chris could even get back to our bedroom, Mom was up and moving.  It was almost as if her stress level would leap as soon as she touched the bed.  We are most concerned about her falling, because she does this roaming without her walker most of the time.  And often with just one house shoe on.  Chris wanted me to get some sleep since I have to teach this morning, so after three or four trips, she finally closed our door and stayed with Mom.  For most of the night they made jaunts between the couch and the bathroom.  And to top it all off, it started thunderstorming and continued for most of the night.  Won’t be seeing them in church this morning.  I just hope I can stay awake through the sermon.  Hope that preacher isn’t too boring.  Oh, wait.  That would be me. 

I went to two full-blown, tackle football games yesterday.  The first was to see Matt and Will from church.  They are in the neighborhood of 7 years old.  It was lots of fun, but I couldn’t tell who was who.  The team’s numbered jerseys handed arrived yet.  The little guys lost big, but I was really proud of both of them.  As I left I saw a grandpa who used to come to Seaside.  He was ready to watch his grandson in the next game.  It was good to see Mark again, but I couldn’t stay for that one.  I forged ahead toward the car and saw another Seaside kid, a fellow named Aidan who I baptized recently, all dressed for his game.  Now, I had to make a WalMart run and go home to eat, but I came back and caught much of his game as well.  They won big.  Evened out the organization’s record, I guess.

I had plans to check out a baseball all-star game later.  Those first two little guys were playing, but Chris needed some shoes, so I pulled some MeeMaw duty.  Besides, I was past my quota of hot for the day.  This medication I take that warns against too much sun apparently magnifies its effects.  It took all afternoon for me to cool down.  As it turned out it started thundering lots anyway.  The baseball game was called with our guys losing by 14 runs.  And the thunder caused me to wonder about the outdoor wedding I had scheduled for 6:30. 

As often happens here on our tropical island paradise, the clouds parted with no significant rainfall, so we made it through the wedding OK.  But it was really hot again.  And excessively humid.  We were all sweating like pigs.  Well, except the bride.  She didn’t sweat.  Really.  After the ceremony the groom stopped me and promised me over and over that this was the only wedding he would ever go through.  It was going to take.  He was going to see to it.  He came across as being really passionate about it.  He was a little drunk, and I’m sure that had something to do with his fervor, but then he said his parents were going through a divorce right then.  Wow.  I hope he remembers and carries through on that pledge. 

Psalms 22:27-28 says, “All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations will bow down before him, for dominion belongs to the Lord and he rules over the nations.”

Father, walk with that groom and his bride in their life to come.  Draw then toward you.  Amen.

No comments: