Tuesday, August 14, 2012

August 14 – “Wait … already?”


Yeah, the title is a smart-aleck reference to my birthday today.  Actually I’m pretty glad to be having one.  Sure beats the alternative, right?

I doubled up on some of my usual work routine on Sunday so we could do some of the tourist thing yesterday and today.  Nieces Taylor and Cheyenne are here for their annual summer foray to the beach, so we started them off with a ferry ride.  In fact, Cailyn spent the night with us as well, so it was a female ferry foray.  And me.  It was quite pleasant for most of us.  We walked on, of course, expecting lots of traffic.  And there was not much traffic.  In fact, I don’t think they even filled up the boat.  We tried the “feed the seagulls” cruise line option, but for the first time in my memory they didn’t appear to be interested at all.   That was strange.  On the way back from Bolivar we did see some dolphins.  Lots of dolphins.  Must have been a school or pod or whatever you call lots of dolphins.  They were following behind a shrimp boats with his nets in the water, so it was obviously lunch time for them.  Gotta love that fresh seafood.  Remember I said “for most of us”?  That would mean one of us had not so great a time.  And that one would be Cheyenne.  As we got back on land she let it be known that she was struggling a bit with the dreaded seasickness.  True to her word, she left a souvenir of her travels there in the walkway between the ferry and the parking lot.  So glad Chris was there.  So glad I was “needed” elsewhere to hold Cailyn’s hand. 

Nathan spent much of the rest of the day here with us.  He was waiting to be called in for a special overtime job, but they didn’t call until after 5.  He was stuck with sitting around with his mom and dad and three little girls.  He sure left quickly when they did call.  Was it something we said?  And then when he arrived they were told they were not needed after all and not to expect a paycheck for their time.  I sense a grievance about to be filed against someone.

Chris took the girls to the beach after supper.  They were blessed to experience first-hand the big fish kill that is currently gracing our beaches here in Galveston.  Fish carcasses.  Fish bones.  Absolutely delightful, I’m sure.  Too bad I volunteered to stay with Mom this time.  Had to miss the fun.

With such a great day yesterday, today can only be wonderful.  After all, I’m not yet sixty.  That makes me still a youngster, right?

Psalms 22:4-5 says, “In you our fathers put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them.  They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed.”

Father, help me emulate that trust of my forefathers.  I want to be a good example for these little guys.  Amen.

No comments: