Friday, August 24, 2012

August 24 – “I don’t get it”


We got to rejoice with a pretty proud Mama last night at our home group.  Seems that our resident little one, Joy, graduated from her gymnastics class for toddlers.  Mama Alexandra was showing off the gold medal she was awarded.  And hey, who am I kidding?  I was pretty proud myself.  I sure wouldn’t have excelled in a gymnastics class before I even turned two years old.  I was lucky to find my mouth with food back then.  Not that I remember much of that time in my life.  It has been a while. 

Speaking of proud Mamas, April posted a few videos that she took of Cailyn’s first dance class yesterday.  There she was, all decked out in her ballerina, tutu garb (Cailyn, not April), flitting about the room with the other twenty or so little girls.  I was especially impressed with the pre-balance beam apparatus.  They walked across a board about six inches wide, stepped onto one of those little trampoline things and bounced a few minutes, then hopped onto a mat at the end and turned a somersault.  Cailyn held her arms out to the side in a highly graceful manner as she maneuvered across the board, and held her position even while hopping.  Very impressive.  Just like the Olympics.

There was one move I didn’t understand, though.  The girls all got in a single file line with hands on the shoulder of the person in front of them.  Then they walked around in circles.  Occasionally they would pass under the arms of the instructors who had formed a sort of “London Bridge is falling down” pose.  They were moving around, too.  Very strange.  Kind of made me glad our boys went for things like baseball and basketball and soccer.  You know, sports.  Games that I can understand.  Well, as I recall I never did really understand much about soccer.  But at least it made sense.  The boys were running (always a plus), and there was an expressed purpose – make a goal.  But following each other in circles and walking under bridges?  I don’t get it.

Psalms 25:4-5 says, “Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.”

Father, I think I’ll focus on learning your ways.  I don’t think I can master the whole ballerina thing.  Amen.

No comments: