Saturday, August 25, 2012

August 25 – “Must be Saturday”


We had to make a Sam’s run yesterday.  The church was getting very low on several kitchen and cleaning supplies and we needed some of the more basic ones at home (read here “toilet paper”).  We haven’t been on a Big Sam’s run pretty much all summer, plus we were picking up a few extra things so we could have cleaning supplies in both buildings, so we were expecting a hefty bill.  It actually wasn’t as bad as I expected – less than $200.  Well worth a trip clear into Texas, I guess.  And that trip is going to take even longer before much longer.  I understand they are moving the Sam’s store to a location a little further down the freeway, closer to the insane development going on between here and Baybrook.  Can’t someone build closer to the island?  How about on the island?  Come on.  Be brave.  Be a part of tropical paradise, sand and surf, fishing and water play, hurricanes once every hundred years or so lifestyle.

On our way back home we decided to stop for lunch at Shrimp and Stuff.  Absolutely my favorite choice.  And boy were we ever hit with a surprise.  As we were finishing up our popcorn shrimp, who should walk through the door but Katie Hightower and her sister Bernie.  What a surprise.  Katie moved in with Bernie up in Huntsville several years ago.  She is one of the sweetest ladies I know, or in fact, I have ever met.  They just decided to take a drive down to Galveston and enjoy the sights.  I’m sure glad I got to be one the “sights.”  Great to see her again.

We took the supplies on out to the church with great plans to get them all stored away in plenty of time to pick up Mom at Libbie’s Place.  Little did we know until we pulled up and I got out of the car that I had forgotten to pick up my church keys.  We had no way to get inside.  Fortunately, though, the church secretary, Cindy, was at home and she lives just around the corner.  Unfortunately she was at home because her asthma was acting up.  Sounded like she was having some of the same problems Alexandra was having at home group the other night.  And that Josiah was having.  So what is it that’s in the air?  We did get everything unloaded in plenty of time to get Mom, and Chris has the kitchen organized to the point that I think I’ll make some tags to put on the cabinets so we can see at a glance what is in each one.  Let me add that to my list.  Right after “mow the grass” and “review the sermon.”  Must be Saturday.

Psalms 25:6 says, “Remember, O Lord, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old.”

Father, thank you for the chance to see Katie yesterday.  Keep her healthy and happy.  Amen.

No comments: