Sunday, August 12, 2012

August 12 – “A roseola scare”


I got a pastor-type call last night around 8:30 (didn’t recognize the area code at all).  Actually it was literally a pastor call.  A guy who identified himself as “a pastor for many years in the Tyler area” called to ask if I could make a hospital visit.  That was not so unusual.  I have received many of those requests over the years.  I’m not at all sure how he got my cell phone number.  I didn’t get much chance to ask questions.  The guy really loved to talk.  I heard about his years in the ministry, how he didn’t have a church right now, but he was going to be singing at some big church in Houston, how at his last church “here in Jacksonville” (there was a clue) they had several adults become Christians only to have “this one old fellow” really hit on them about tithing until he ran them off.  I heard all about his Baptist political leanings.  He wanted to know what I was preaching on this morning.  It took a while for me to get out of him just who it was he wanted me to go see.  His son and family were in Galveston on vacation when his son became ill.  His wife took him to UTMB emergency room and left their thirteen year old daughter in charge of her two siblings (ages one and two) back at the hotel room.  The youngest had had roseola, and he was sure the dad had contracted some version of it, causing him to have trouble breathing.  That sounded funny to me (really sounded funny to Chris), and I tried to question it, but all I could get in was to mention “measles.”  He never heard me.  I never did really get out of him whether he wanted me to go take care of the children or go to the hospital.  As we were talking he told me his wife had just made contact with the granddaughter at the hotel.  He said he would call me back. 

After ten or fifteen minutes he did call back to say they were going to keep the son overnight, the wife was headed back to the hotel to pick up the kids, and they would be leaving.  He thanked me and again hung up.  End of story, right?  Not so much.  In about ten minutes the phone rang again, this time with an entirely different area code.  This was the pastor’s daughter from Boot Hill, Missouri, sister of the guy in the hospital.  She shared some more details about their family dynamics, primarily that there must be five or six of them who are pastors.  Guess that was supposed to endear them to my heart even more.  She was at least clear about the request.  Would I simply visit the brother and pray with him.  She knew he would appreciate it and the family certainly would. 

By that time I was intrigued, so I headed out to the hospital to meet the mystery patient.  He was a very nice guy, obviously not feeling well, but in great spirits.  He told several jokes and had a wry sense of humor.  He was a psychiatric nurse out of Jacksonville, Texas.  He said his dad was 77 years old (which also explained a lot).  They were holding him while they checked for pneumonia, not roseola.  I stayed for a few minutes, listening to some of his stories about why he was sure beyond a doubt that God was real and had intervened numerous times in his own life.  Very uplifting for me.  I think it helped him to talk about it, as well.  We prayed together, and he reminded me to “use some of that chemical stuff on your hands” when I left.  Fine ending to one of the good ones, as pastoral visits go.

Pslams 20:7 says, “Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.”

Father, please do some healing work over there at the hospital.  Take care of your child, Robin, and bring peace to his family.  Amen.

No comments: