Monday, August 27, 2012

August 27 – “Every day, all day, for all the time”


We had a great visit yesterday with some good friends and ex-Seasiders who live in Austin now.  They were in town in preparation for leaving on a cruise today.  I sure hope they stay plenty far south of the hurricane’s track, though.  I’m sure Carnival Cruise Lines is not foolish enough to put passengers in harm’s way, but, hey, this is family we’re talking about here. 

Lauren texted us while we were eating lunch with Nathan and April.  Cailyn chose Salsas as our destination, so off to Salsas we went, of course.  I let Lauren know that we would be heading home right after we ate and took a brief horsie ride.  Salsas has some wooden horses in the lobby that they obviously took off an old carrousel.  They don’t move except in our imagination, but Cailyn and I have to take a quick spin every time we go. 

Lauren and Kenny and their two girls met us at our house.  I don’t know if Sydnie and Valorie really did remember us (they are 4 and 5 years old, I think), but they must have talked about us in the car, because we got a big greeting and a thank you for the quilts Chris made each of them.  The girls don’t get to see their grandparents very often.  One set lives in Colorado and the other lives in New York.  That became evident when the youngest one crawled up in my lap and looked up at me and flashed some of those flittery eyelids at me that little girls must have imprinted in their genes.  She asked, “Are you my Grandpa?”  And so began the melting process of this old guy’s heart.  Good thing I never had a daughter, that’s all I can say.  I told her, “I will be your Grandpa every time you come to Galveston and every time I go to Austin.”  How’s that for a magnanimous answer?  I figured she would be happy with that and I could get another little-girl hug.  But she had other ideas.  “No,” she replied definitively.  Wait, no?  I thought she wanted me to be her Grandpa.  Did I get rejected?  Ah, but she continued, “I want you to be my Grandpa every day, all day, for all the time.”  Well, OK, then.  It has been settled.  Guess I’ll be Sydnie and Valorie’s Grandpa.  Every day, all day, for all the time.  Sydnie’s sure got a head start on understanding what it means to be adopted into God’s family.  Every day, all day, for all the time. 

Ephesians 1:3-6 says, “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.  For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he  predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.”

Father … yes, Father.  That’s enough.  Amen.

No comments: