Monday, August 20, 2012

August 20 – “Happy Birthday, Mom”


Today is my Mom’s birthday.  She is 86 years old.  We don’t have a lot planned for her at this point.  We just weren’t sure how much she was going to be able to do.  The last few weeks in general, and the last few days in particular, have been really tough ones for her.  She hasn’t slept much in her bed at night.  She has dozed while sitting up on the couch or at the table or in the bathroom, though.  There just seemed to be something about getting into bed that caused her anxiety level to skyrocket.  We decide to switch out the bed in our spare room with hers.  The one in there wasn’t as high off the ground, so we’re hoping she can maneuver herself in and out of it better.  She did fall again yesterday while I was at church.  She was making her way to the back door looking for the bathroom, and lost her balance.  Chris couldn’t hold her up, so down she slumped.  Nathan came over and helped get her into the wheelchair.  She didn’t eat much yesterday, and Chris had to almost force her to drink some water and some milk.  I’m praying she’ll have a good day today.  I’d like to get her some flowers.

A pretty good crowd stuck around after church for dinner on the grounds.  Great food, of course.  I hope the sermon made sense to someone.  I was pretty tired, so I sure wasn’t following it very well.  Seasiders are good folks, though.  They assured me all was well.  They also asked about Mom and Chris and sent their love. 

We spent the afternoon watching TV and Mom.  Chris and I both did some rather fitful dozing.  Somewhere in there I saw some of the Little League World Series game.  The team from San Antonio won their game.  Go Texas.  We watched (well, I watched and Chris slept) the international pool game between Japan and Taiwan (or whatever they call it nowadays).  They are the two favorites to win the whole tournament.  Incredible.  Best Little League game I have ever seen.  It went into extra innings and Japan finally won on a walk-off home run by its number nine hitter.  That little guy will never forget that hit, I’m sure. 

Well, now it’s time to see if I can focus enough to get some work done.  I did my best to let Chris sleep last night, so I anticipate trouble in the concentration department.  Deep breath.  Here goes …

Psalms 24:3-4 says, “Who may ascend the hill of the Lord?  Who may stand in his holy place?  He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false.”

Father, help Chris sleep in for a little while this morning.  And give Mom some peace to rest as well.  Amen.

No comments: