Tuesday, December 8, 2009

December 8 – “Baseball Head”

 

I started early today.  Chris slept on the couch because she was coughing so much.  And if she's not in bed with me, that always means I am up by six.  I started right in working on the sermon, though.  It went pretty well.  I could get a lot done quicker if I keep getting up before six every morning.  I think the steroid is making it possible for me to stay awake longer during the day.  My energy level seems to be higher, anyway.  I honestly don't see much difference in the pain in my joints, though.  Some days it's really bad.  Others, not so much.  And as always, my left elbow is the one constant pain that never leaves me.  Hey.  Maybe every time I feel the pain there, I can remember that verse about Jesus never leaving me.

 

Chris and I took Mom to see the 3D, Jim Carrey version of A Christmas Carol at Moody Gardens IMAX.  My favorite part was the introduction, where you are flying through the crowded streets, seeing all the cultural interchanges, and dodging the 3D snowflakes.  When the show was over we went to the elevator with three guys in wheelchairs.  It didn't come.  And didn't come.  We looked around for a ramp for the wheelchair guys, and there was none.  That has to be some kind of fire code violation.  Finally Chris went down the stairs and after fifteen minutes they finally got the thing moving again.  Chris said all of a sudden the doors opened and two maintenance guys walked out.  They were repairing some wiring, and didn't think to tell anybody.

 

This afternoon we stopped by the hospital to check on Jennifer and her new little baby Gavin.  And I mean little.  He was only 3 pounds and 3 ounces.  He's in intensive care for awhile, and will probably be at the hospital for a month while he catches up.  He's having some trouble breathing, which is to be expected since he was very early.  Mom is doing great, and since I was talking to Dad, I got to see some pictures.  Cute little kid.  His dad said his head was about the size of a baseball.  Perfect picture for me.  I love baseball.  When I left I punched the elevator button.  The little light came on.  And went off.  I punched it again.  It came on again.  And went off.  We played this game for awhile.  Then we tried the stairs.  They had one of those magnetic locks at the top.  The door wouldn't open.  People were in the stairwell and couldn't get out.  I felt like I was in a movie.  "Trapped on the Maternity Ward."  The light finally came on of its own accord and that tell tale ding got our attention.  The stairwell door flew open.  The elevator opened as well.  The only ones left by this time were me and a guy pushing a cart who couldn't push it down the stairs.  I decided to get on the elevator with him.  As the door closed he said, "You know, it might not be so bad of you were a female or something, but I really don't want to be stuck in no elevator."  I told him, "At least we were stuck on a floor.  How would you like to be those people stuck in the stairwell?"  A loud groan was the last thing I heard from him as the door opened and he pushed his cart out like he was in that Olympics bobsled event.

 

2 John 4 says, "It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us."

 

Father, please protect little Gavin so he may grow and walk in your truth as well.  Amen.


No comments: