Sunday, December 6, 2009

December 6 – “Breakfast with DadDad”

 

Well, Cailyn spent the night with us last night so her Mom and Dad could go watch the fire department boxing matches against the police department.  Sounds like the fire guys did pretty well, too.  We sure did okay around here.  We always do when we get to spend time with our little girl.

 

As fun as last night was, this morning was definitely in question.  Cailyn woke up around three, but Chris was feeling pretty bad, so she didn't get up.  I  decided to do what her father told us – let her cry a little.  Sure enough, after about fifteen tortuous minutes of on-again, off-again fussing, she went back to sleep. 

 

And then came the morning.  I was up around six, and just as I was about to reach for a shirt from my closet, she was awake again.  Now, I couldn't let her go twice in one night, so I picked her up.  And the morning began.  She wanted nothing to do with Chris, which was a good thing, because Chris felt terrible.  So the two of us had a DadDad and granddaughter morning.  She was great at diaper change, and she loved the morning bottle.  We just snuggled in a rocking chair.  I had been told she would probably go back to sleep, but no way.  Not this morning.  Today was "Breakfast with DadDad" day. 

 

She was wide awake, and got down to play with some toys.  I got my shoes and socks on - with her help, of course.  Then the real breakfast started.  I had no idea what she was supposed to have.  I started on a banana, though, and she sure seemed to want some, so I broke her off some pieces and she lit in.  She would walk around and play awhile, then come back for more "nanananananana."  I snuck in some of my apple turnover, too.  That was a special treat, but she always asked for that banana.  When she finished off all the pieces I cut up , she still seemed hungry, so I dug in her bag and found some baby food cereal that didn't look all that nasty.  Kind of oatmeal-y.  I put her in her high chair, and she ate five or six bites, but them it was time to take another walk.  So I happily obliged her.  She came back for a few more bites, and she did drink a sip or two of water, but by then, the picnic was over and it was time to get down to some serious playing. 

 

Usually on Sunday morning I use the time to go over my notes for the sermon again.  I try to read the papers, too.  Not today.  Me and my girl just kind of hung out until her Mom and Dad got there.  And that was a particularly exciting experience as well.  When she saw them through the front door she started giggling and couldn't stop.  When her Mom finally saw her and started waving, I thought she was going to jump right through the class.  She was jabbering the whole time, sometimes turning to let me in on what was happening.  I'm sure for her it took forever for them to open the door and sweep her into their arms.

 

I went quietly in to let Chris know they were leaving.  Then I told her Mom and I were leaving, too.  She weakly replied, "Where are you going?"  Chris was sick.  She didn't even remember that today was Sunday.  I let her stay in from church today.  She needed it.

 

1 Corinthians 9:22 says, "To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some."

 

Father, thank you for helping me "become" a granddad to a sweet little girl today.  I love her.  Amen.


No comments: