Wednesday, December 30, 2009

December 30 – “Lights”

 

Finally.  Today was Christmas Day at the Vaughan house.  We thought we would get started opening gifts around 8:30.  Kel's family got here right at nine.  Nathan and April and Cailyn finally arrived around 10:30.  But once it began, it continued in earnest.

 

We like to try to open presents one at a time so everyone can see what each person gets.  It allows for thank you's and oohs and ahs.  We did pretty well.  The little guys were helping out by crawling under the tree to get another present, and by delivering them to the appropriate person.  It resulted in the usual semi-controlled chaos.

 

I am very excited for tomorrow morning to come.  One of my gifts was a Belgian waffle maker.  I'm ready for breakfast.  I think everybody was pleased with the varying expressions of love from the family.

 

One of the things I like to do for the adults in the clan is buy special "Dad Gifts" that have a reason behind them.  Rarely are they expensive.  In fact often I don't spend any money at all.  This year my favorite Dad gift went to Kel.  Cailyn has always been a little skittish around him, and he has bent over backwards to get her to let him hold her.  I wanted to help with that little relationship difficulty.  So I blew up a picture of April's face, made it into an April mask, and gave that to Kel.  I also included a tutu for him to wear.  I figured if Cailyn saw those familiar things, her fears would ease toward her Uncle Kel.  He put the mask on.  It didn't help.  She was speechless, but she still wouldn't go to him. 

 

Tonight we all went to Moody Gardens to see the Festival of Lights.  We got Mom a wheelchair, mixed in a few strollers, threw on some coats, and took a stroll.  We were actually impressed.  They have reconfigured since the last one we went to (that would be pre-Ike).  There seemed to be a lot more lights.  The little ones were very excited when we began.  Before long Cailyn succumbed to the warmth of the bundle in which she was wrapped, and went to sleep.  Caleb made the next move, but it was not toward sleep, but rather toward Mommy.  The older three did fine, and seemed to have a good time.  I was impressed with the fire juggler at the end.

 

Isaiah 1:18 says, "'Come now, let us reason together,' says the Lord.  'Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool."

 

Father, thank you for the color change.  My life sure needs it.  Amen.


No comments: