Thursday, May 28, 2009

May 28 – “It’s white”

 

We left the house early today.  Chris headed to Bay City to take her Dad to his doctor in Houston.  Mom was waiting to be picked up for her weekend in Houston with my brothers.  I headed into Galveston to open the door for the electricians.  I was supposed to be there by 8:15.  I arrived at 8:05 and they were there waiting on me.  And they jumped right into it.  My first question of the day was, "Why is there no gas connection for your gas dryer?"  The answer, of course is that we have an electric dryer.  And we have planned on that from the very beginning.  "Then we have a big problem.  We did no wiring for electric dryer."  Well, it seemed to me that he might be right about having a problem.  So I told him to talk to the contractor.  And I went right away and called him myself.  He assured me they could take care of it.  And by the time the appliances were delivered. 

 

With that problem "solved" I left to begin my errands.  First I had to drive back up to Lifeway Store to get the books as gifts for graduates at church.  I was there right after they opened, because I had to be at Seaside Christian Academy to teach my final lesson of the year and give one of the books to our only graduate this year.  The kids were all watching a movie when I got there.  Well, the little guys were all watching it.  Some of the high schoolers were in the kitchen making chocolate fondue.  The headmaster stopped the movie – sorry, little guys – and gathered the students for me.  I did a rapid fire approach to the story of Joseph.  The whole thing in about forty minutes.  They all stayed awake. 

 

I went back by the house and talked briefly to the contractor.  The electricians had a question - an easy one – about where to put the under counter lights.  He had to leave right away because he had an appointment with Kel and Christina.  I didn't tell him that I planned to head over there after I stopped for something to eat.  Sure enough he was upstairs with them when I got there.  Jachin was downstairs, so I just sat at the table and had my foot long coney island. 

 

I left in plenty of time to get back to the house before the 3:45 opening time of our Sears delivery – all appliances.  Sure enough, they called around 3:30 and said they were almost there.  I was sitting in the family room trying to study / stay awake when they arrived.  I was more asleep than awake when the guy yelled, "Sir!  Are you the owner?" Scared me to death.  But I checked out the delivery.  Everything looked OK on paper.  The first items came and were to stay in boxes – stovetop, oven, dishwasher, icemaker.  The freezer made its way back to the back corner.  The washer and dryer rolled by.  Finally the refrigerator came in.  They hooked up what they were supposed to – the "installer" is coming Saturday to do the rest.  While they were doing their thing, I peeked in the icemaker box.  It was white.  It was supposed to be black.  I grabbed the papers from when we bought it.  Black.  But it's white.   I notified the deliverer and he told me to keep it and call for a replacement.  Fine.  I called right then.  It took awhile, but they finally understood that I wanted them to deliver what I actually ordered.  They agreed to do it – Sunday.  I said they would have to come in the afternoon – I had to be at church.  She couldn't guarantee it, but would write a note.

 

Meanwhile the electricians were frantically trying to finish up.  When they turned the power on they discovered a hot wire hidden inside the wall.  Apparently the sheetrockers covered something up.  They were still working on that when I left. 

 

I'm heading back into town to Ashley's choir concert at Ball High tonight.  Can't wait to go by the house and see it at night with lights on.

 

Psalms 136:3-7 says,

3 Give thanks to the Lord of lords:     

His love endures forever.

4 to him who alone does great wonders,     

His love endures forever.

5 who by his understanding made the heavens,     

His love endures forever.

6 who spread out the earth upon the waters,     

His love endures forever.

7 who made the great lights —      

His love endures forever.

 

Father, thanks for the lights.  And thanks for the Light.  Amen.


No comments: