Wednesday, May 20, 2009

May 20 – “A Girl Morning”

 

This morning was one of those "girl" kind of mornings that I really don't understand.  We went to the house, knowing that Chris had to be at a Wednesday Club luncheon around noon.  I was excited for her to see the walls painted in the house since she was gone yesterday.  She seemed to love the colors of the family room (tan), the accent wall of the study (green), and our bedroom (light green).  The jury is still out on the yellow room, but she says it's growing on her.  They hadn't started the blue room yet (though they did get one coat on by the end of the day).

 

The tour of the paint didn't take all that long, but then we went back through three or four more times.  Chris explained what kind of window treatments she was thinking about.  We noted which rooms still needed a second coat and which looked finished.  We ran our hands over the newly textured wall and wondered when it would get primed and painted.  We walked around back and looked at the leaves on the magnolia and pecan trees.  She said, "I guess we should take some of these plants up on the deck."  I didn't make a move to do it right then, but she seemed OK with just saying it this time.  She checked the neighbor's mailbox for them.  She walked around to the air conditioner side of the house and said she might want to plant a rose bush over there.  Speaking of rose bushes, she asked me if I wanted to plant two in the front flower bed.  And where I thought they should go.  I managed to come up with, "Wouldn't they have the same problems the azaleas and roses did before the storm?"  I did bend over a few times and pull weeds out of the yard.  Not much real grass left, but I might as well give it a fighting chance. 

 

Finally we left the house and went over to Palais Royal to look at dresses.  She couldn't find one.  As we walked out the front door she asked if there was anything I wanted to look at.  I chose my answer carefully.  "A new cartridge for the printer."  See, Office Depot is two doors down from Palais Royal, on the other side of Specs. 

 

OK.  So here's my thoughts.  I think Chris honestly believes that this morning we accomplished a lot and she was ready to go to her luncheon invigorated and excited.  I, on the other hand, can't see that we accomplished much of anything.  Except maybe the weeds I pulled in the yard.  Where was the evidence of the time we spent?  I didn't see any tools cleaned.  The back yard still looks the same.  What did we just do?

 

Now, I know the answer.  I know that we spent time together.  We listened to each other.  We made plans for the future together.  I know.  And marriage is all about relationship.  Hey, I even went to that luncheon with her.  I was the only guy there amidst a group of ladies where Chris is the youngest of the bunch by far.  I love my wife.

 

John 3:8 says, "The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

 

Father, sometimes it helps to see evidence.  Sometimes it's better that we not.  Thanks for my wife.  Amen.


No comments: