Wednesday, May 27, 2009

May 27 – “The Thermostat”

 

It rained most of the day today.  At least it did at our house in Galveston.  I planned to do some more tool cleaning, but only got through six or eight sockets before I had to cover everything up.  Chris got called away with the truck to do an important community service – she had to babysit with Cailyn.  So I was stuck at the house.  Even the workers left, so it was very quiet and very dark inside the house.  Kel finally called and came over to see what was happening.  He hung around and we talked in the rocking chairs until Chris got back.  Actually, after awhile he was taking me to Cailyn's house when we met Chris on the way.  I was transferred like so much cargo, and we went to old faithful McAlister's for some lunch. 

 

Meanwhile, back at the house, the electricians did show up.  In fact they were there when we got there.  We unloaded all the light fixtures and arranged them near the places they were to go.  He stayed busy installing plugs and switches, and finally started on the fixtures.  It was quite an amazing transformation.  I certainly never doubted Chris' choices, but she outdid herself with these.  And while they were being put up, the air conditioning guys got there.  They installed the vents, the intake grills, and a new thermostat.  Not just any thermostat, mind you.  This thermostat has the mind of a mother of preschoolers.  The guy explained it like this. "If you (he pointed to me) come by and set it at 73 because you are hot, and she (he pointed to Chris) comes in behind you and complains that she is too cold – you know how those women are – If she comes in behind you and tries to raise it back up to 80, the thermostat will shut down the compressor for five minutes."  I guess that gives you time to figure out who's going to win.  This is going to be very interesting with Mom in the house.  She's always too cold.  I'm always too hot.

 

The electricians promised Chris that she would have lights by tonight.  We're planning to stop back by after church tonight to check them out.  Appliances come tomorrow, but we don't know our "window of delivery" yet.  I teach at Seaside Christian Academy at 11, so April is on call to come over if we need her.  Chris leaves at 8 to take her dad to a doctor's appointment.  I have to open the door by 8:15 for the electricians to finish up.  Maybe Sears will deliver early in the morning.  Don't think I'll hold my breath, but maybe …

 

Revelation 3:15-17 says, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm — neither hot nor cold — I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

 

Father, that air conditioner feels great at the house when I get hot.  Let me be fired up for you.  Amen.


No comments: