I was beginning to think my watch was stuck on Eastern Daylight Time. I didn’t wake up until after six. A function of the amazing bed here, I’m sure. I had a cup of coffee. No movement. I did my quiet time. Still no one. I even took a walk around and around their den. Not sure how far. I didn’t set my watch, because I figured someone would walk in.
Finally Luke appeared. Then Chris. I pulled up and reined it in right there. I forgot to mark the mileage though. I’ll just check my steps at the end of the day.
The excitement of the day came when Josh announced that he needed help going on a coon hunt. Yep. They had raccoons in their attic that woke them up in the night. Josh dressed in his best camouflage outfit. He pulled on one glove. He loaded up his BB gun. He grabbed a flashlight and crawled up the ladder, ready for the ‘Coon Crusade.”
Caleb was right behind him with his BB gun and a flashlight. Luke drew the assignment of banging on the ceiling to awaken the critter. Can’t let that critter get too comfortable. Apparently, Josh locked eyes with one of the interlopers. A shot rang out. Then another (OK. That’s some literary license there. A BB gun doesn’t actually “ring out.” More like “Pffft.”) either way, the critter either escaped the way he came in or found a hiding place deeper within.
In case it was the latter, and in anticipation of further encroachment, Josh then dragged a critter trap up there and baited it with some marshmallows. Will the entrapment be successful? How long should he leave it alone before checking it? Ah, questions. We shall see …
I forgot to mention that Zak and Lindsay came back over. We had a few minutes fore departing for football games, so we played a few rousing rounds of Uno. Not the traditional one. This one had the randomizer machine with the tiny guy inside who pushed a button that spit cards at you if you couldn’t play. Problem was, AnnaGrace was best friends with the tiny guy inside the machine. She whispered to him the whole game. Didn’t seem fair to me. Kind of a conflict of interest, wouldn’t you say?
The football games began around 3:30. Actually there was a JV game earlier than that, but Luke’s junior high game was where our initial focus lay. Then Caleb’s varsity team followed in the nightcap.
The varsity won in a landslide, as has been their usual all year. They do fall behind for the first time all year, though. 6-0. But they followed that with 56 unanswered points. Caleb played an awesome game on defense. Even finagled a personal foul on one of the opponents when the opponent retaliated against Caleb holding him (note: no holding penalty was assessed) by shoving Caleb to the ground. No one was hurt, and we gained half the distance to the goal line. Tricky, Caleb.
Luke’s team did right well, too. Their score was 52-12. Luke scored the first touchdown on a diving grab of a pass in the end zone. Later he ran 60 yards for a touchdown on a designed end around play. But the run was nullified by a holding penalty. So what did Luke do? Nothing much. He just took the next handoff on an identical play, and proceeded to run 70 yards for a touchdown. Take that. Can you tell who might be a tad proud?
Philippians 1:3 says, I give thanks to my God for every remembrance of you
Father, thank you for random takes of Uno and sweaty football games and most of all, family to share them all with. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment