Wednesday, August 5, 2026

August 5 - “Identity theft?”


Well, here’s a wake-up call for ya. Or rather a “good night, sleep tight” call. Just before going to bed I checked my email. I have to stay on top of it since that email account was hacked and everything gets sent to my trash folder. In those late-night emails I received were two from our bank. One indicated my name had been added as a payee in our online banking app. Why I would add myself to be paid by myself is beyond me. The other indicated that my online banking had been frozen because of too many attempts to withdraw amounts above the limit. I checked the accounts themselves, and sure enough, they indicated that some large amounts had been marked “approved.”  Like amounts greater than I have in the bank. I waited for them to open so I could call and make sure the accounts stay frozen at least until I can change whatever I need to change. Ain’t identity theft grand?


So back to our latest journey. We slept somewhere in Mobile, Alabama last night. Very nice hotel. Well, except that “the breakfast lady is running late and we don’t know when she’ll be here.” At least someone made coffee. 


Once we had breakfast, I called the bank. The plot thickened. Yes, money had been transferred between my accounts. But none had actually left the bank. And here’s the really crazy thing. After this apparent hack, we now somehow have more total money than we did before all this started. The bank has put a stop on everything related to our accounts until we get back into town. I told you it was crazy. Crazy weird. 


We finally got back on the road before 9. The goal was to reach the Atlanta hotel by 4 so we could unload the van before heading to the baseball stadium. Atlanta Braves baseball. 


But first … we made a quick stop for lunch somewhere in Alabama. Well, I knew where we were - Wendy’s. I just didn’t know where we were. It sure is fun to think and exist like a kid. 


We hit Georgia about 1:30. At least our clocks mysteriously changed to 2:30 about then. New state unlocked, Ezra. We stopped briefly in Peachtree City. Just a Walmart run for bathrooms. Oh, and bottles of water for the baseball game. And a Lego set for Jachin. And a hot wheels car for Ezra. And some M&M’s for Nana. Whew! “Just a bathroom stop.” Walmart strikes again. 


Atlanta was a nightmare of traffic. Totally warranted all of our years of avoiding it like the plague. But we had to wade through it get to our hotel. 


At the game we started off with about a mile hike after parking. All uphill (it was easier on the walk back). Our seats were a real surprise. We were in the Atlanta version of the Astros Crawford Boxes. Right behind the bullpen. 


That’s where Ezra spent the vast majority of his night. He stood at the edge of the seats gazing down at the relief pitchers. And lo and behold, after the game one of the pitchers tossed a ball up. Ezra had to struggle a little with the lady next to him, but he came away with the ultimate souvenir. 


Speaking of souvenirs, Jachin did his best to find one specific cap he really wanted. Sadly, they were all sold out. He settled for the newer version. Micah got a hat, too, except he didn’t have to pay nearly what Jachin did. He just got one of those orders of nachos in a plastic batting helmet. He was just as proud. I’m not sure if Josiah got a souvenir, but I did see him with a tasty looking slice of pizza. I think Noa settled for the experience. 


Oh! I forgot to add that the good guys won. Astros 7-2. The Braves won, too. 


‭‭James‬ ‭3‬:‭13‬ says, Who is wise and has understanding among you? He should show his works by good conduct with wisdom’s gentleness.


Father, thanks for the Braves adventure. Ride with us on the next leg. Amen. 

No comments: