Saturday, August 29, 2026

August 29 - “Death-in-a—jug jug”


Did anybody see the moon eclipse? We peeked at it around 9:30, right before we headed to bed. It had just gotten started. Only about a quarter covered. We slinked back inside, joking that we should set an alarm for about 11:30 so we could see more of it. Chris nixed that idea. 


Sadly, however, the proposition was made out loud. That meant my body heard it. Now, my body is not very good at picking up non-verbal (or sometimes very verbal) cues. It heard. 


So, at exactly 11:48 p.m., my beloved body … woke up. Wide awake. And the first thing that came to my mind? Eclipse, of course. Sigh. Why fight it. I crawled out of bed. Chris didn’t move. Freddy didn’t even follow me. I was on my own. 


I stopped by my desk to grab my glasses and made my way out the back door. Now, I know you are all expecting some exciting twist to my story. Well … I saw the eclipse. About 75-80 percent covered. Yay. And I went back to bed. Sorry. No twist. The eclipse was cool, though. I highly recommend it. 


We started the actual day on slightly different notes. Chris headed to the backyard to water some plants. I eventually followed … after I located the ant spray. Yep. I was going on an ant hunt. 


I made my way from the backyard to the front and every spot in between. I used my steely-eyed vision (assisted by my trusty sidekick glasses) to locate those telltale piles of dirt. And then I greeted the evil little critters with a squirt or three from my bug-death-in-a—jug jug. 


Mission accomplished, I was still fired up. That’s the closest I have come to operating a power tool in years (see a previous post concerning bush-trimming, where use of the anxious power hedge trimmer was nixed by the powers that be. Read here, Chris).  


Anyway, to work off some excess energy, I decided to hit the exercise trail. I did have to move my rocking chair a bit to the side first, but the track was ready. I was off. You know? Walking two miles in a figure eight around the interior of your house is … different. Same sights. Same sounds. I did take the opportunity to switch up the direction of my walk numerous times. That helped. It also helped when Chris came in an and struck up a conversation. But through it all, I made the goal. Two. Took me about 50 minutes, but I made it. Oh, and for the second mile, I added the weight-lifting exercise Chris’ therapist has her doing. Whew! Long morning. 


In the afternoon we became cheerleaders of sorts. We were cheering on the thunderstorm that was threatening. It made a lot of racket, and even eased in with the darkening skies. But in spite of all that promise, no rain. Nada. Zilch. I thought sure we would get some. After all, Chris did her part. She watered the grass …


‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13‬:‭8‬ says, Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.


Father, thanks for you for the chance to witness firsthand amazing parts of your universe like the eclipse. Amen. 

No comments: