If it sounds too good to be true …
We made our way to the bank first thing to get the fiasco straightened out. We were in the parking lot at 8 a.m. and found them at they didn’t open until 9. Of course.
We went back home for a few minutes, and before long, Freddy came home. She seemed excited to see her favorite toy, if not us.
We finally made it back to the bank first thing and started the process. Between us, we figured out that after extensive research, it was just too good to be true. The hackers did not leave us money after all. In fact, not only did we not gain any money, instead, we “just” lost $3000. Ouch.
More research, and it was definitely the bank’s fault. They are tracking it to get the money back. They’re also punishing the call center person who didn’t do what I asked. I called at 8:40 a.m. on the 4th. Requested that a complete freeze be put on our accounts. No activity of any kind until we come in in person. She assured me that had been done.
Well … it wasn’t. A full day and a half after I made the freeze request, $3000 was transferred to a bank in North Carolina. Fishy. Very fishy. The bank manager promised to talk to the supervisor of the person who didn’t follow through on our request. She will also initiate the process to recover the money. Will we ever see it again? Probably not. Sigh.
Meanwhile, they had to close out our accounts and reopen them as brand new ones, so new account numbers. Now I have to reenter all the new info onto their website so I can then redo the online banking app on my phone. Then it’ll be notifying any direct deposit organizations.
The bank manager then sent us over to the police station to file a report with them. But they couldn’t file a report until we had already talked to the three credit bureaus and social security to make sure it was “just” bank fraud and not stolen identity.
I connected with the credit bureaus. Done. I tried social security, but the guy told me that for what I need to do, I would have to go to a social security office in person. Great. Can’t wait.
Oh. Did I fail to mention that somewhere in there I had to get Chris to physical therapy? We did grab some lunch at Shrimp n Stuff (my birthday meal) after that, before returning to the tedious work of rebuilding our financial stability.
Oh, and did I fail to mention one other thing? When we pulled into the driveway very late after our all-day van ride, what should greet us, but a very large branch of our sycamore tree on the ground blocking the sidewalk. No. We haven’t made it to that one yet. It’s on the list for today. Sigh, again. Some birthday, huh?
1 Corinthians 16:13 says, Be alert, stand firm in the faith, be courageous, be strong.
Father, thank you for all the help we got at the bank. Bless them. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment