Friday, August 21, 2026

August 21 - “Attacked!”


First things first … Social Security checks showed up. Whew! Now we can pay some bills. 


We attacked our overgrown yards. Started early. Before 8 a.m.  Even then, it was HOT. 

Front and back mowed and edged. Used the blower to sweep up the excess. Well … until Chris showed up with a broom and dustpan. Finished up the old-fashioned way. 


Next I grabbed the electric hedge trimmer and headed to the back. There was a two-fold reason for that (in spite of the fact that Chris questioned why I wasn’t gonna use the hand clippers).  

#1 - the hand clippers take way too much energy. 

#2 - The wisteria literally attacked me when I was mowing. Seriously. It was like I was trapped in a cartoon. 


As I attempted to pass underneath with the lawn mower, totally minding my own business, those creepy, long tentacles reached out and grabbed me. First it was my arm. Then my shoulder. Then a leg, then they ganged up on me. Several wrapped around my neck. The more I struggled, the more tentacles gripped me. Tighter and tighter. Another one. And another. Whichever way I moved, there were two more … no three! Aaaarrrgghh!


And you want to know the funny thing about this entrapment (other than the obvious cartoonish struggle I was frantically engaged in)? Through it all I kept my hand on the lawn mower so it would not stop, as if somehow the noise that tiny small engine was making would frighten the alien branches away from me.   It did not. 


Now do you see why I am determined to attack that creature with a power tool? (Oh. Did anybody notice that I switched verb tenses? That’s because Chris put her foot down and forbad me from working any further in the 90 degree heat. So I was put off until today, assuming my body can handle two days in a row).


‭‭Psalms‬ ‭113‬:‭3‬ says, From the rising of the sun to its setting, let the name of the Lord be praised.


Father, thank you for those silly social security checks. That’s a little more peace of mind. Amen. 

No comments: