Tuesday, August 4, 2026

August 4 - “FIL H2O”


We got up early (4:30 for me. 6 for Chris ) so we could hit the ground running, loosely in the direction of Virginia. However …


I tried to make some coffee. All seemed OK for about five seconds. Then I was introduced to a brand new error code: “FIL H2O”. Hmm. All my grandkids were still asleep, so my go-to number one was unavailable. 


So then … I did what every tech savvy grandparent would do. I watched a you tube tutorial. Didn’t really help. Well, until the “last resort” page. That’s when they said, if all else fails, unplug the machine and shake it. Yep. Shake it. Believe me, I did that. Haven’t you always wanted permission to shake an errant mechanical beast? Didn’t help. That’s when I noticed the fine print. “If shaking is unsuccessful, parts for this model are no longer available. We recommend upgrading to another of our fine Hamilton Beach products.” Great. 


Meanwhile, up in LaMarque …

 

The van Kel and Christina rented had so many issues that they had to have it towed back to the dealer. There were no other identical vans available, so they gave us a full size 15 passenger one and told us to take out the back seat. Problem number two. Kel couldn’t get the bolts off. Guess that was a good thing for safety. Not so much for luggage. Back to the Hobby Airport  location for a third try. Oh well. I guess the kids enjoyed the extra sleep. 


We made our way up north and got as far as Buc-ees in Texas City. I know. Not very far, right? Well, after the coffee machine debacle, I figured I deserved a sip or two, even if it was industrial strength. So coffee at Buc-ees. Oh, and one of those biscuits. Bacon, egg and cheese. Chris had a breakfast taco. We were all set.


We finally hit the road at 10:45. We’re off! Aaand first stop? Rest stop. Potty break. Somewhere in some bushes. Had to switch buildings to wash hands. Odd. 


New state unlocked, Ezra. Louisiana. And first stop there? Walmart. Why not? It was lunchtime. We strolled around a bit, then gathered back at the van to have our sub sandwiches. And while we were eating, a huge alien, bug-looking creature appeared next to my coffee cup. It was quite grotesque. The kids told me a life-sized version of the critter had served as the mascot for the U.S. men’s soccer team in the World Cup. I’m surprised that thing didn’t scare the other teams into submission. Being the kind soul that am, I adopted it into our family of ramshackle critters. Welcome … Bug. I think it had a different name at the World Cup, but no. Bug. It’s gotta be just … Bug. 


Next stop - Loves in Baton Rouge. It was under construction, so the bathrooms, and the cashier and snack area for that matter, were temporarily housed in three temporary buildings. Didn’t take us long. It became a real “temporary” stop. 


But we did make a “real” stop up the road a ways outside of Covington, Louisiana. We lit in the parking lot of Target at a Chik-fil-A. 


A few unlocked states later we arrived at our hotel in Mobile, Alabama. Had to get some sleep. It was on to Atlanta, today. 


‭‭Psalms‬ ‭34‬:‭19‬ says, Many 

adversities come to the one who is righteous, but the Lord delivers him from them all.


Father, thank for a safe and effective first leg of our journey. Join us again today. Amen. 

No comments: