Sunday, December 25, 2022

December 25 - “Wait … it’s Christmas!”

Why sound I so verily incredulous herein? Well, it’s because our Waco kiddos don’t arrive until tomorrow (I think). And we didn’t have to do a mad rush to Kel’s house very early this morning to watch the LaMarque kids open gifts. And then we usually head over to Nathan’s to check out what Cailyn got. But today? Today we get ready for church to happen. Christmas Day on a Sunday. Can’t beat it.

 

Yesterday we actually went over to Walmart to pick up a few things. We got there shortly after 8 a.m.  Great time to be there. Well, unless you want to people-watch. There just weren’t very many of those critters around who dared get out in 28 degree weather - in Galveston, of all places. The ones there were pretty jovial, though. At least the ones who were awake.

 

Sam ventured out to the Christmas Eve service with us. It started at four this year, so the sun was still out. And by the time we left it was a balmy 39 degrees. I was a little worried because I forgot my sunscreen, but we managed without it.

 

I gotta say, I was a little perplexed at first as to how we would accomplish a candlelight service in broad daylight in a room with some pretty big windows. Fortunately, a designer in the past with creative foresight made sure we had blinds on those windows.

 

The room was packed out this year. Somewhere in the 90’s in attendance. I chatted with one couple vacationing at one of the RV parks. He said, “Of all the churches we have visited on Christmas Eve, this was by far the most fun. In fact, it was the most fun church service we have ever been to.”

 

The music was great, as usual. My favorite part was when Brennan accompanied Joy to the World on the keyboard. He did the intro all by himself, too. I was definitely proud of him. Not often a middle schooler will attempt something like that, much less nail it like he did. Way to go, Brennan.

 

Kel asked me to read one of my stories. In a bit of a coincidence, I had just completed one. All about an encounter a snail has. It stars Joseph and Mary, a snail or two, and … a bag of salt. And yes, it did have some clues in it about the carving I made for Chris this year. More about that tomorrow.

 

We were hungry on the way home, so we did a Whataburger drive-by on the chance they were still open. Nope. So we came on back to the house for yummy leftovers. Chicken and dumplings and pizza. That’s some serious comfort food there for a Christmas Eve dinner.

 

April came by to pick up Cailyn on her way home from work. She made a great suggestion about finding me a good neurosurgeon. She recommended sending a My Chart message to one of my other docs and asking who he would recommend. I sat down before bed and did just that. Now we wait. Again.

 

Matthew 1:21 says, She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

 

Father, thank you for all the people who made it out to the service. It was good seeing the folks make their way over to see and talk to Sam. Amen.

No comments: