Saturday, December 10, 2022

December 10 - “Crisis at Walmart”

Right after lunch yesterday we made a beeline for the church. Chris had a few things to finalize before the big market that starts this morning at 10. Of course we have to be there by 6 to let vendors in, though. I had a few things on my list. I’m the sign guy. I had some posters to hang on the wall. I also carried some boxes upstairs for Chris. When Lauren arrived with the Sam’s order, we helped her get that sorted as well. I think we’re as ready as we can be except for the stuff that can only be accomplished on “game day.” 

 

On the way home we stopped at Walmart. Chris needed some taco seasoning for the soup she is making. She also wanted some balloons to hang on the street signs. Just as we were pulling in, I saw a call come through on my fire department app. Someone was unconscious in Walmart. Sure enough, we didn’t beat the fire truck and EMT’s by much. They jumped right in and began working on the guy. As we passed by, I stopped, so Chris said she would go ahead and get what she needed.

 

As I stood by praying, I noticed an older lady holding her Walmart apron, fanning herself, breathing really fast, and kind of muttering to herself. I approached her and told her to stop and take some deep breaths. I identified myself as the fire department chaplain, and she immediately responded. She asked if I could walk outside with her. Come to find out she had been one of the first to respond to the patient when he fell. She was a former EMT, but it had been many years ago. Once I got her to slow down and take some calming breaths, she talked to me for five or ten minutes. It sounded almost like she was having some post traumatic stress flashbacks. She did finally calm down, and even prayed for the guy. After that, we went back inside to get her some water.

 

The first responders had by this time stabilized the guy and had him on a stretcher. The fire guys acknowledged me as they passed by.  What can I say?  I’m really proud of those guys.

 

Last night we drove out to Santa Fe to pick up Cailyn so she could come to the market. Always fun to have her around.

 

Matthew 7:7 says, Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

 

Father, please be with that guy who passed out in Walmart.  Try bank you for the store people who helped and for the first responders who got him stable and to the hospital. Amen.

 

No comments: