Monday, September 9, 2019

September 9 – “On the sports front …”


It seemed to be a low attendance day at church yesterday, but when the counts from Chris came in, we still had almost 50 people there.  I can remember when 50 was considered a banner day.  Now that’s a little less than our average.  Guess God’s still at work over at Seaside Church.

After church we went over to Nate’s for lunch with a group of Seasiders.  Best burgers on the Island, in my opinion.  Pretty good seafood, too.  And of course you absolutely can’t beat the company …

And then came Sunday afternoon.  Of course that started with the Astros.  They were already ahead 4-0 when I first turned the car radio on.  Marisnek had just hit a home run.  Little did I know at the time that by the time the game ended they would score 21 runs.  And Cole (and Devinski for one inning) would pitch a one hitter.  And Cole would have his third game in a row with 14 or more strikeouts.  He had 15 in this one.  Devinski added two more when he finished out the game.  There was just too much action.  I couldn’t even get to sleep properly because stuff kept happening. 

After the game I did something highly unusual for me.  I watched the Dallas Cowboys football game.  That one was a bit of a blowout as well.  Something like 35-10, maybe?  Poor Eli Manning.  He set a record for playing in the most seasons (16), but this one doesn’t bode well for him. 

We finished the Sunday TV afternoon by watching a few episodes of “The 100” on Netflix.  It’s our newly discovered series about the future.  It’s rather dark, but there have been some fascinating developments of late.  Won’t say more in case someone else wants to check it out.

Psalms 56:3 says, “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”

Father, would you be with Mike Anderson this morning a she anticipates his surgery here in a few hours?   Give him peace.  Amen.

No comments: