Sunday, September 15, 2019

September 15 – “Speaking Electrician”


Yesterday I met up with our two retired electricians so they could start to determine what Seaside needs to do to get our outside lighting back up and working again. Jim started out by explaining what he had discovered so far.  Then James joined in.  It didn’t take long before I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.

So, while they did their thing in their own language (Sorry, fellas.  I just don’t speak electrician), I called Comcast.  Several weeks ago they sent us a new modem for the church.  It had no instructions at all, and I didn’t even know which of our two modems it was supposed to replace.  Besides, we weren’t having any difficulties with what we had.  Then the phone calls began.  Recordings urging me to call them because their records indicate that we have not activated our new modem.  So I obliged the computer voices and called the given number. 

Strangely enough, the human being I talked to said they have no record of the new modem.  In fact they have only one modem on file, but the record indicates that they don’t seem to have a modem here at all.  Of course that means they have to send a tech guy out to see it in person.  She assured me he could be at the church between 1 and 3.  I explained that as a pastor, I have a wedding to perform, so I couldn’t be there any later.  And besides, we have a group that uses the building on Saturday evening anyway.  “No, no,” she assured me.  “Between 1 and 3.  I’ll send you a confirmation email.” 

About that time Jim came up and said that a lady needed a ride into town.  She had just walked up to the church from San Luis Pass.  I agreed to handle it, and we were off.  We talked a lot on the way into town.  She cried some.  Her mother had just died in August.  She got really excited when I shared the plan of salvation with her.  She remembered praying a similar prayer and drawing close to God after her mom’s death.  God helped her escape from a life of drugs and prostitution.  She has drifted a little since then, but she still loves the Lord and sometimes attends three different churches on Sundays.  And she does the best she can to help out the homeless people that frequent her neighborhood.  Pray for Sally.

I dutifully returned to the church in time for the 1 to 3 window Comcast gave me.  Around 1:15, as I was preparing to change the marquis at church, I received a text.  It was from Comcast, so I naturally thought it was the tech informing me he was on his way.  Silly me.  It was, indeed, confirming my appointment for … between 6 and 9 p.m.  Nope.  Not what we agreed upon.  And not even possible.  I called and all they could do was reschedule the appointment for next week.  It’s set for Monday now.  I may or may not show up. 

I really did have a wedding scheduled for 6 p.m.  I parked at the church and walked down to the beach.  And the area was flooded with people.  I called the bride, and she said I would see the group just to the left of the entrance.  I didn’t.  I did see a pickup truck with white folding chairs in it, though.  I kind of hung around it until a blue car drove past and asked if I was Pastor Kelley.  It was the bride, just arriving.  Needless to say, it took them a while to find a suitable place for the ceremony.  After a bit of walking, we did locate a spot, and the wedding went off without a hitch.  Well, with one key “hitch,” I guess you could say … they got hitched.

Kel and his family were at the house when I arrived.  They had been to the library and were there to watch the Astros game.  The ensuing chaos of magic tricks and hot wheels and Connect Four and Gum Guys and giggling and squealing and all talking at once and the game going on the TV made for quite the evening’s entertainment.  Kel had grilled some burgers and hot dogs, so the food was ready when I got home.  Good day after all …

Romans 10:10 says, “For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.”

Father, walk with Dennis and Robin as they begin their life together.  Amen.

No comments: