Tuesday, September 3, 2019

September 3 – “Mischievous Mission accomplished”


Our little house guests stuck around all day yesterday.  In fact they were joined by their parents.  And to top it all off, Aunt April and Cousin Cailyn came over as well.  Uncle Nathan was at work.  While the kids found ways to amuse themselves … wait, I guess I can’t just say that and not fill in some blanks.  There was some media happening.  ESPN was rolling in the background as the older guys waited for the Yankees vs. Rangers game rain delay.  That was all forgotten, however, when the Astros game finally started.  At one point there was a rousing game or two of Clue where Nana proved to be the arch-villain every time.  Cailyn and Noa disappeared into one of the bedrooms.  When they re-emerged, Noa had received a complete makeover from Cailyn and her very own make-up kit.  They even made their way into Nana’s closet and borrowed a few dresses to complete the effect.  Such girls. 

Chris fixed a Mexican food extravaganza lunch.  Chicken fajitas.  Tacos.  That old stand-by, velveeta cheese dip.  April brought some Mexican rice and some of her famous homemade pico to add to the mix.  To back up a little bit, Chris found a recipe online for the chicken to marinate in before we grilled it.  Wait.  The chicken didn’t marinate in the recipe.  That would be silly.  She mixed all the recipe-recommended stuff together and stuck the chicken in that.  Whatever “that” was, it tasted pretty good. 

Perhaps the most exciting result of the sleepover event didn’t occur until this morning.  Now don’t get me wrong.  We enjoyed the presence of the little guys.  The energy is always off the charts.  But my favorite part about dealing with any kids is the sheer unpredictability of the whole experience.  You never know what they will do.  They don’t even know what they will say next.  And as they get older, that unpredictability takes some interesting turns.  One such “turn” came to light this morning when Chris went to get a cup of coffee.  She is one of those who must have extra sweetness in her hot morning beverage, so she pulled out the sugar bowl.  Now I was in my office working, when I heard her cry out.  I so wish I could have been in there to see her face, for there, just under the top layer of sugar, with tiny portions just barely visible … was a plastic roach.  How did I know what had happened?  Well, I had made myself a cup of hot tea last night and made the same discovery.  I didn’t yell, but I sure felt a rush of adrenaline.  And yes, I returned the little critter to its previous position amidst the grains of sugar.  I guess that technically makes me an accomplice to the prank, doesn’t it?  Shhhh.   Mischievous Mission accomplished, my young imps.  Well done.  Well done.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, “Always be joyful.  Never stop praying.  Be thankful.”

Father, thank you for that explosion of creativity that blossoms in our kiddos.  Keep it coming.  Amen.

No comments: