Thursday, August 8, 2019

August 8 – “A random meeting”


T-minus 12 hours or so ...

Amidst prepping for Sunday and for next week, we made a quick trip to WalMart (of course) yesterday.  It was time to stock up for Cousins Camp 2019.  Everybody has some kind of favorite, and Chris always tries to hit on at least one thing they all like.  Oh, we’ll have the obligatory pizza night.  The rest of the meals will probably look something like tacos or chicken strips or hamburgers and hot dogs.  You know, comfort fare on a kids level. 

While we were there a random guy stopped me and held out his hand for me to shake.  I complied.  As we connected he said, “Thank you for your service and for what you do.”  The look on my fact must have betrayed my confusion.  Did I know him from church?  Have I seen him around Jamaica Beach?  He hastened to add, “Are you the chaplain for Galveston Fire Department?  I saw your hat.”  Ah, there it was.  Forgot I had my GFD cap on.  He explained that he worked for Houston Fire Department.  I heartily thanked him for his service as well.  Always great to meet another member of the fire fighter family.

Before we could even get the groceries unloaded the Astros were already ahead 4-0.  Not a bad first inning.  That was a fun game to watch.  14-3.  And Gurriel had 8 RBI’s.  Cole won his 14th straight start.  Pretty phenomenal.

Back to camp stuff … Josh called last night to make sure his Mom really was healthy enough to have all these grandkids over.  She assured his she could handle it.  We are driving to Navasota this morning to meet Josh halfway to pick up Caleb and Zakary.  Camp begins sometime after we get back and get settled.  These camp directors are not much on rigid scheduling, are they?

Psalms 27:1 says, “The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid?”

Father, would you drive with us up to Navasota and back?  And please keep us all safe through our flurry of activities this weekend.  Amen.

No comments: