Saturday, August 24, 2019

August 24 – “God bless plumbers”


Skilled labor time again in the Vaughan house.  I’m not altogether sure why that would involve me, but here I am.  The faucet in our master bathroom has been leaking for some time now.  It seeps out from improper crevices every time we turn it on.  So yesterday … I changed it out.  We already had the new faucet in the garage.  Bought it a year or so ago when the problem started, but then it stopped doing it.  Then it started again.  Then it stopped before I could get it switched out.  Then it started up again.  Get the picture?  Yet another of those weird homeowner discoveries.  I mean the discoveries are weird, not the homeowner.  Although …

Anyway, I read the instructions.  Yes, really.  I even watched a youtube video of someone changing one out.  Pulling the actual faucet was no problem at all.  It was the thingie inside the sink that gave me fits.  You know.  The part that the water drains into.  Little circle on top.  Long pipe on bottom that connects to the main plumbing system.  And that sneaky little piece of metal and plastic that jabs its way into the pipe so it can operate the sink stopper.  Now I got the actual construction done with relative ease.  Well, if you can call being stretched out on your back, contorted into every possible position to be able to reach the connections “ease.” 

But it was hooked up.  I turned on the water and Chris turned the faucet handle.  We had water.  Sadly, however, our success was short-lived.  A leak.  A big one.  Right down the middle of the drain pipe.  The gasket wasn’t sealing.  So Chris turned off the water and I grabbed the tool and started tightening.  Test again.  Tighten some more.  Test again.  Tighten some more.  I had to revisit the underside of that sink no less than four times.  And I am not completely convinced now that it is really stopped.  I am quite sore from the contortionist activity.  God bless plumbers. 

Hebrews 12:1 says, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”

Father, thank you for the plumbers of the world.  They don’t get enough credit for the work they know how to do and the outrageous contortions they have to get into to do it.  Bless ‘em.  Amen.

No comments: