Thursday, August 22, 2019

August 22 – “Surprises”


Well, talk about hitting the ground running …

Our first order of business yesterday was the building dedication for the new fire department station one.  It was held in the bay of the new station, so it was pretty hot anyway.  Add to that several hundred people who showed up for the ceremony, and it was a scorcher.  There was a bit of a natural breeze.  It is, after all, Galveston.  But I was glad the chief decided not to wear our class A uniforms.  That came later …

My part of the program was the blessing of the building.  I used a ceremony I developed for blessing homes that involved, along with the prayers, the use of a flower and water as symbols of God’s presence and his Spirit.  I dipped the flower in the water and sprinkled it in every direction.  It was kind of funny to see the look on the faces of the folks in the front row when I turned to them with the wet flower in hand.  It was a gentle flick of the wrist, though.  No spectators were drenched in the performance of this blessing.  Instead of a ribbon cutting, they had a fire hose uncoupling.  A ceremonial hose with numerous sections was brought out, and all the dignitaries uncoupled each section.  I was handed one of the sections, since I was part of the program.  That was a surprise to me.  Pretty big honor, too.

After the ceremony a man from India approached me and said the blessing was very similar to a Hindu one he had seen before, with the Christian twist, of course.  One of the new fire fighters told me that he really appreciated me praying in Jesus’ name.  He didn’t expect that and was pleasantly surprised that I had the nerve to do it.  The building was open for tours, and the response was really good from all who attended. 

After lunch we drove up to see Betty Head, our 90 year old in Home Group.  She seems to be doing pretty well in the assisted living facility up near Kemah. 

Then it was back home for a bite to eat.  I changed into my class A uniform and we headed back to the new station for the pinning ceremony for new hires and for those getting promoted.  We all got a real surprise when the fire chief announced his retirement.  He’s moving to Hutto, Texas to be the emergency management coordinator.  Lots of changes going on at Galveston City Hall.

Meanwhile, we got a call that one of our sweet Seasiders, Pat, was in the hospital.  So right after the pinning we headed over to the hospital to see her and pray with her.  She appreciated the full uniform regalia.  Her husband is a retired police officer, so she made a point to tell me she married a man in uniform.  She was in good spirits.  Tests have all been run, and now she is playing the waiting game.  She did say she was up for all the company she could get … hint, hint …

Quite a day.  Quite a week already, in fact.  And I still have to get a teaching put together for Sunday.  Oh, and home group is tonight.  Guess I’d better get started …

Philippians 4:19 says, “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.”

Father, be with Chief Wisko and the department as they undergo the transition.  And be with Pat and with her docs.  Amen.

No comments: