Monday, May 7, 2018

May 7 – “the really long name guy”


We had an absolutely full house in church yesterday.  And an even fuller parking lot.  The adult retreat group up in the retreat center took up most of the spaces.  It didn’t take long for the side grassy space to fill up, and I even had to dig through the closet to locate our Parking signs from Bethlehem Street Market to direct folks to park on the other side of the retreat center. 

It was a great crowd, too.  One lady approached me and asked “Who is Jim?” 
I pointed him out, and she continued, “My sister told me to come here and she said that was the one she knew.”  Her friend then asked for my full name.  I told her, and a puzzled look came over both of their faces. 
“But when we looked at the website there was someone with a really long name.  I can’t remember what it was, though.”
“Ah,” I replied knowingly, “Perhaps that was Jim.  His last name is Kachelmeyer.”
And in unison they cried out, “That’s it.  He’s the one. He’s the really long name guy.” 
Well, Jim, I’m not sure what you’ve been telling folks, but they know you and the length of your name.  And they are coming to church, so … good job.

After church two little ladies (visitors) came up to me, and in the best Northeast accent I have heard in a long time said, “Will you come back to Rhode Island with us?”  I suppose I must have looked a bit shocked, because she hastily continued, “Well, barring that, will you tell the last four things you said in the sermon?  I didn’t have my notebook and I couldn’t type fast enough on my phone.”  Since the Lord hasn’t revealed an impending move to Rhode Island in my future, I gave her the paper back-up of my sermon.  She was ever so grateful.  Even promised to be back next Sunday with a camera so she could take a picture of the Visual Verse. 

We went with the After-Church Lunch Crew to Pit Stop Bar-B-Q.  Good lunch, but when we were leaving Lauren’s car wouldn’t start.  We tried jumping it with three different sets of cables, to no avail.  Robert and a Good Samaritan mechanic did what they could to help out, and finally removed her battery and took it over to the WalMart auto center.  They left it there charging.  An hour or so later Lauren got a phone call.  The message was that her battery was ready.  Sort of.  Seems that while they were charging it, the thing exploded.  So they were replacing it.  What??  Sadly, the explosion was an omen of worse things to come.  The battery wasn’t the issue at all.  She needs a new starter.  Gotta love these transportation creatures.

Psalms 59:16 says, “But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.”

Father, thank you for all the great folks who made it to church yesterday morning.  Thank you for their great spirit in dealing with the parking issues.  And would you be with Lauren and Ed as they deal with car issues?  Amen.

No comments: