Thursday, May 31, 2018

May 31 – “Where’s the power?”


Well, we have run into another snag in the church remodel process.  The new air conditioner condenser (I think that’s the right name.  It’s the big box thing that fits outside) finally came in to replace the other one that was blown.  It was under warranty so we had to wait two rather warm weeks for it.  The installers got it “all welded in” (Their words.  I didn’t know there was welding involved as well.  I learn something new just about every day).  That’s when they ran into their problem.  There was no power coming to the box where they hook it up.  They found power at the breaker box, and again at the inside blower.  Just nothing when it came to the outside unit.  They were there from around 3 until after 5 when they finally left.  The guy assured me that he was “going to sleep on it” and see if anything else came to him to try. 

My afternoon wasn’t a total loss, though.  I did get to meet the new interim executive director of the Galveston Baptist Association.  Guy named Dennis who used to be a missionary in South Africa.  Seemed nice enough.  He reminded me a lot of one of the pastors here on the Island.  As he shared his story with me I found out the reason.  They are both from Louisiana.  OK, I know.  That’s not a good reason, but wouldn’t that be circumstantial evidence?  How about topographical evidence? 

I also changed the outdoor sign.  Our new sign guy at church did an amazing job fixing it up.  Now we can post much longer sayings for people to ponder as they travel past in their cars on the way to work or to the beach.  This one went something like: “Laugh a lot so your wrinkles will grow in all the right places.”  Think about that one for a while …

I did get to touch base at Cailyn’s softball practice on the way home.  Chris took her because Nathan had to lead some honor guard training in Santa Fe.  One word for that practice … hot.  Really hot.  I think it might have been 90+ with 80% humidity.  The girls were really dragging.  Thankfully the coach recognized it and made sure they took water breaks.  They have a big tournament in Beaumont this weekend and maybe one more before they close up shop for the summer.  Hang in there, girls … and parents.

Psalms 66:20 says, “Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me!”

Father, would you please help the AC guy find power to the unit today?  And protect those girls as they practice this evening in the heat.  Amen.


No comments: