Friday, May 11, 2018

May 11 – “Stowaways”


We did make our way away from Waco.  It wasn’t easy.  The kids were begging us to stay at least an extra day.  Made us feel good, but I’m pretty sure the fact that their school load decreases while we are around might have had something to do with it.  Oh, and it gives Zak another excuse to go fishing.  Can’t argue with that.  As we loaded up the car, though we realized that we were having to load around a familiar sized lump or two.  Yep.  We had a few stowaways lurking.  I’m not sure what they would have done if we had actually left with them, though.  Things always look a bit different when Mommy is not around. 

Before we left town we stopped at a local sporting goods store.  I had a gift card from my little brother, and the closest store to us would mean driving to Baybrook Mall.  Never a happy journey.  It was a successful stop, though.  I was able to find me some hiking boots, so look out for our next hiking excursion.

Speaking of excursions, I had a long talk on FaceBook Messenger on the way home with our friend Randy.  He’s the guy who talked us into signing up for the cruise to the Panama Canal.  It doesn’t happen for another 620 days or so.  How do I know so specifically?  That’s how he opens his communications with us.  “620 days.”  We discussed things like whether I will preach the days we leave (Maybe) and get back (No way).  Chris told me to mention that we have started looking at shore excursions.  He went nuts.  All kinds of information and advice.  He suggested that they might have a dolphin watch excursion.  I reminded him that we can watch dolphins just a few blocks from our house.  He said there was one location that might have snorkeling, but he didn’t recommend it with facial hair.  He tried it and his mask wouldn’t seal.  He sucked in salt water every time he dove.  Not something I’d be particularly interested in (sucking in salt water, I mean). 

Check out this portion of our interchange:
Randy: “Did you get passports?”
Me: “Yes.  Already had them.”
Randy: “They actually gave you one?  That is, living in a foreign land?”
Me: “We have an extradition treaty with Texas.”
I think Randy has a handle on the whole Galveston Island experience.

Psalms 61:3 says, “For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.”

Father, thank you for our little stowaways.  And for Randy’s exuberance.  Amen.

No comments: