Sunday, May 13, 2018

May 13 – “Starting it right”


As I was finishing up reading the paper yesterday morning, the front door suddenly burst open.  Was this a home invasion?  Probably not, since I couldn’t see the culprit’s head at first.  Ah, maybe Cailyn?  Nope.  Blonde hair.  Hmm.  The only grandchild of that size and appropriate hair coloring would be Josiah.  But no.  The voice that by this time was accompanying the interloper was definitely not his.  So who was this intruder?  Why, this was none other than our neighbor, young Brennan, bursting into the house.  Well, he had a very good reason.  He had to tell me about his baseball game the night before.  He hit the ball every time he came to bat (Significant, since he has been in a slump of late).  And he got to play catcher because one of their guys was sick and another went out of town “and left the team all alone.”  Oh, and he was waiting for his ride to pick him up.  Seems a team member had invited him to go on a fishing trip … on a real boat.  Plus, he did have to say hello to Freddy, his favorite creature in our house.  And Freddy was pretty happy to see Brennan as well.

While we were talking we heard Brennan’s Dad start up the lawn mower, so Freddy raced outside to bark at him.  His Mom came over shortly after that to have him come home (Brennan, not Freddy) and make his last minute bathroom run before the friend arrived.  And she had to fill in some of the baseball game play-by-play blanks, from a mother’s perspective, of course.  I was really sorry we missed the game after those two described it.  They finally returned to their house to await the much-anticipated real boat wielding friend.  I returned to my newspaper thinking, “Whew.  That was a whirlwind of a start to the new day.”  And at that I glanced at the clock nearby.  It was 6:45.  That would be 6:45 a.m.  What a fabulous way to start the day.  Talking baseball and fishing with an eight-year-old.  I love it.

Psalms 62:1-2 says, “My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.”

Father, thank you for Brennan and his family.  It’s like having an extra grandson across the street.  Amen.

No comments: