Tuesday, May 15, 2018

May 15 – “inspirating”


We jumped back into the old grind yesterday morning.  I woke up, wide awake, at 5 a.m. for some insane reason.  6:00 is not insane.  That’s routine.  5:00 is just strange.  No idea why, other than the “few minutes” I rested my eyes during the Astros game …

Then we walked three miles.  My knee is still giving me a little trouble, but once I get started and get past the initial barking back-talk, I can finish pretty well.  Hey, we have to stay prepared for any spur of the moment hiking trips that may come up.

The rest of the morning was a typical Monday.  Lots of computer work to check off the weekly to-do list every Monday so I can be prepared to work on the sermon throughout the week.    After a quick lunch I pretty much crashed.  I confess this time I probably might have possibly dozed off just a little bit.  I was really tired.

But speaking of the Astros game, because of the little nap I was able to stay awake for the late game on the West Coast last night.  Not that I would have missed much.  Lost 2-1.  Bats just didn’t show up.  One silver lining though.  Altuve got a hit in the ninth inning after going 0 for 16.  Maybe he’s back.  My favorite part of the game, though, came from the mouth of the announcer.  One of the regular guys was off for the week, so they subbed in the guy who usually does the pre-game stuff.  This fellow was fine with his comments regarding the game (as fine as that can be, mind you.  Those ex-athletes absolutely know everything, you know?), but he was not very good at reading the ads – the commercials – the things that pay his salary.  So my favorite?
“Join us for faith and family night at the Astros game, including an inspirating concert …”
OK.  I know “inspiring” (to influence or encourage).  And I have heard of “aspirating” (to draw out fluid by suction).  So is this is another way of saying that if you come to this concert the band is going to suck out encouragement from you (i.e. aspirate inspiration)?  Or perhaps they will be asking you to donate blood at the concert (i.e. inspiring aspiration)?  Either way, I think I have been inspirated to miss that one.

Psalms 62:7 says, “My salvation and my honor depend on God;he is my mighty rock, my refuge.”

Father, thank you for all the inspirating people and events you have let me experience so far.  I’m ready for some more.  Amen.

No comments: