Tuesday, October 31, 2017

October 31 – “Sleep deprivation funk syndrome”

Ah, Monday.  Or should that be Yawn, Monday?  Oh, I attacked my Monday morning list with a vengeance, as always.  Managed to wade through a good number of the items, too.  But I have to admit I was stricken by the malady that affected a million or so of the good baseball fans in America … Game Five-itis.  The Wild and Wacky World Series game didn’t end officially until 12:38 A.M.  Of course we were right there to the bitter end, too.  Not just because we had a houseful of company, either.  I would have been up for this game even if it was just me and Chris and Freddy (Our usual season tickets box seats occupants.  And by season tickets I mean couch-comfy, right in front of the TV screen, replay available, snacks and bathroom nearby season tickets).  But I didn’t wake up until right at 7 a.m.  That’s about an hour past my usual.  And then there was the inevitable sleep deprivation funk syndrome that half of the Houston area was experiencing, or at least writing about on FaceBook.  It was a good funk, though.  I’d welcome another, oh say … tomorrow … after another victory tonight to win the whole series. 

We had Cailyn duty yesterday, so we picked her up after school.  On the way home we ran by the fire station to say hi to Daddy and slide down the whirly-gig slide they have at station four.  From there we stopped by their house to get her suitcase for the night.  By the time we got back to our house it was time to start supper.  Cailyn’s choice?  Breakfast for supper – bacon and eggs and toast.  All because that is something “Mommy and Daddy never let me do at home.”  Come on, Mommy and Daddy. 

Oh, and speaking of Daddy, he texted while we were eating.  Wanted to know if we had made it to softball practice.  Oops.  I never got that memo.  I asked what time it started.  He replied, “…Like … now.”  We gobbled down that last piece of bacon, raced back over to her house to pick up her softball gear, and made our way to the field.  She arrived in plenty of time to take her swings in batting practice and turn in some pretty spectacular fielding gems as well.  That’s my girl. 

So on to preparations for tonight.  Halloween Bible give-away to the hundreds of kiddos who come through our neighborhood, followed by, and probably intruded upon by our Astros watch party.  Come on over around 5:30.  We’ll order pizza.  Bring whatever you want to add to that and a bag of candy to hand out to the kids. 

1 John 5:3 says, “This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome.”


Father, use the New Testaments we hand out tonight to speak to the hearts of some families.  Amen.

No comments: