Monday, October 23, 2017

October 23 – “One of ‘those’”

I got hit with a challenge at church yesterday.  Something along the lines of “How come you didn’t mention the Astros on your blog?”  My response … “The Astros?  Did they win?”  Oh, yeah.

Here’s a little nugget from the mouth of one of our little babes.  Noa and Luke were deeply involved in some kind of creative play which brought them into my office.  With great difficulty and a serious look on her face, Noa managed to position herself directly between my desk and me.  She was determined to make an announcement.
Noa: “DadDad, Satan was following us.”
Me (stifling the urge to look over my shoulder for the crafty demon): “He was?  Well, did you tell him to go away?  You can do that, you know.” (So what do you think of my meager efforts at teachable moments in theology?).
Noa (again, in a matter-of-fact, everyone knows this voice): “Nope.  We hit him over the head with a pumpkin.  A really, really heavy pumpkin.”
Umm.  I guess that works, too.

We had one of “those” kinds of fishing trips on Saturday with the youngsters.  We got up fairly early after the cousins’ sleepover and headed out to Jamaica Beach.  I got everyone situated with a rod and reel.  Cailyn got the boys all baited up (The boys won’t touch live shrimp.  Cailyn is a master at grabbing them and baiting hooks).  And once the first cast was made and hooks were in the water, the action began.  Just about every cast they were catching something.  I finally gave up trying to fish myself.  I found me a seat on a post and waited for whoever was next to come ask me if their catch was a keeper.  Since they mostly caught sand trout and croakers, we kept almost everything, except for the piggies and the one undersized spec that Zak caught.  Sure they were difficult to clean, but they made some nice fish McNuggets.  Lunch that day was a big fish fry of their own fresh fish.  And there was not much left over.  There’s just something about frying up and eating the fish you just caught …

1 John 4:12 says, “No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.”

Father, thank you that those kiddos had a good experience fishing.  I think they have something to talk about for a long time now.  Amen.


No comments: