Friday, October 13, 2017

October 13 – “Using what you have …”

We journeyed out to the church yesterday.  We picked up some supplies for the fire department’s crisis closet they are developing.  While we were there, a couple who are fairly new to Jamaica Beach called and then stopped by.  They wanted to turn in a Bethlehem Street Market vendor application.  They also had some items they wanted to drop off for the relief efforts.  Seems the last place they donated to just put the items in a store to sell.  They really wanted to see the donations go directly to people who need it.  That should be easy to accomplish in this case.  They brought in several bedding sets, sheets and even some quilts.  That’s just the sort of thing that people are beginning to need in the Alvin ministry area. 

As I headed outside to change the outdoor sign at the church to mark the date of our upcoming Fall Festival (October 21st, 4-8 p.m.), Chris noticed that the group who was in the retreat center last had left its church name banner hanging outside.  I went up to take it down and was highly impressed with the creativity and ingenuity they had used.  Apparently they didn’t have any rope to use to tie it on, so they improvised.  What I found was the sign, quite adequately attached to the railing, with garbage bags.  Great use of the tools at your disposal, guys. 

When we got back home I did something that I have come to regret.  In fact I have come to regret it every time I do it as of late.  I mowed and edged the grass.  The mowing part is really not all that bad.  That machine drives itself, so it’s just a matter of keeping up.  The real problem comes with the weedeater.  Something about the combination of the angle I hold it plus the weight of the machine plus the vibrations when I turn it on, all works together to do a serious number on my neck.  A shower and an unplanned nap in my chair helped some, and I did sleep pretty well last night.  I’m curious to see what the doc has to say about it.  Appointment next Tuesday.  Stay tuned.

1 John 3:16 says, “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.”


Father, thank you for the evidences of creativity that abound around us every day.  Makes me think of you.  Amen.

No comments: