Tuesday, October 10, 2017

October 10 – “A senior citizen rescue”

I had … an “interesting” morning yesterday.  I got a call from the North American Mission Board people that they had decided to pull up stakes and leave the area.  The guy who called said that he I had at least two connections that could use some of the supplies they still had left, so if I would just come over, I could take whatever would fit in my pickup truck.  The supplies offered?  Dehumidifiers and rolled roofing. 

I headed on over right at 9.  And just as I rounded the corner of the lot where they were set up I heard a loud pop.  Yep.  One of my rear tires exploded.  I coasted to a stop.  My mind was racing already with all the things I still had to do, so as I walked over to check in with the NAMB guy, I texted Nathan to let him know I was picking up some stuff for the fire department crisis closet just as soon as I replaced a blown tire.  The NAMB guy offered to let me use a hydraulic jack they had, so that would make things a lot easier.  Then, I am embarrassed to say, I called him to ask if he knew where the tool was to get to the spare tire.  I thought it was under the hood.  He wasn’t sure either, so I told him I would search under the back seat and hung up.  The jack was there, so I pulled out the lowering tool and started twisting. 

About that time I looked up, and lo and behold, fire engine 1 was pulling over.  The crew got out and hollered to me, “We got an anonymous call that a senior citizen was in need of assistance.”  What a Godsend.  I assured them they were indeed in the right place.  Even offered to walk like a bent-over, achy-back kind of guy, which wouldn’t be hard at all, since I am actually a bent-over, achy-back kind of guy.  They got the spare on and even aired it up some more for me.  I pulled on into the lot where the supplies were, and the squad helped load it all onto the truck.  One of the guys was even able to get a dehumidifier for his elderly neighbor who still needed it.  The NAMB team was tickled pink to be assisting first responders in their ongoing efforts, so it was a fulfilling experience for everyone.  I headed on home and redistributed the load.  Much of it I put in our garage until I can get with Nathan to put it in the FD union hall crisis closet.  Several dehumidifiers went into our car to take to the church for our own crisis closet and to be used in Lake Jackson or Alvin. 

We went to Cailyn’s school PTO performance at 6.  She was fabulous, of course.  I guess the other kids did pretty well, too, but I didn’t watch them as much.  Wonder why?  Then, as we pulled into our driveway at home, we noticed something.  The right rear tire on the truck, the one that had been the spare, was flat.  Not low, mind you.  It was flat.  Completely, totally flat.  Great.  Now we have to get another tire and get a flat repaired.  I’m just hoping there’s nothing wrong with the rim.  The tire was brand new when it was put on there.  Sigh.  I guess Firestone is now on my to-do list.  Of course that is all on the back burner right now.  I have to be at UTMB at 10:15 for an MRI on my neck.  And somewhere in here I have to call our medical share, Samaritan Ministries, to see what the proper procedures are for submitting a claim with them.  And somewhere in there I need to prepare for a wedding on Saturday and a sermon on Sunday and …

1 John 3:5 says, “But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.”


Father, thank you for the peace you always seem to send my way in the mornings.  I sure need it on days like this one.  Amen.

No comments: