Monday, October 30, 2017

October 30 – “Gut-wrenching … Heart-stopping”

Well, I have already been verbally accosted this morning because my blog is late being posted.  The loving, caring individual wanted to know what I could possibly have been doing last night to cause such a disruption in my - and her – morning routine.  What was I doing … indeed.  I was, along with, oh, a few million other interested parties (including said afore-mentioned jokester), watching the Astros beat the Dodgers in World Series game five.  All 10 gut-wrenching innings of it.  All five-plus heart-stopping hours of it.  And the best part of it all?  Well, aside from having some great friends over to enjoy the spectacle with us.  With all the talking and eating and laughing and screaming in the house, I could barely hear Joe Buck.  Speaking of Joe Buck, I heard that his usual haunt over at the football games was thanking his replacement for a job well done.  Well, please don’t get too used to whoever it was.  You are more than welcome to have good ol’ Joe back, say … starting Tuesday night? 

I do have to add a few details about our little watch party.  The food, of course was magnificent.  Chris made her signature taco soup.  Someone brought those little swirly things full of stuff.  No idea what they are called, but they tasted good.  Sam treated me to her signature crab dip.  I was set for the evening.  Yes, I shared.  Lauren and Ed brought several armfuls of apple pies … and some Blue Bell to go with it.  Let’s see … Bryan and Jennifer came, and so did Cathy.  Oh, and Corey and Brennan were there for the first inning, but it took Keuchel so long to get them out, it was almost Brennan’s bedtime (or was it Corey’s?), so they had to leave.  And of course there was the spirit of Sarah.  She couldn’t be here in person, but her superstitious-dom was reverenced … and referenced … throughout the night. 

Now, as exciting as the game was, there is no doubt the true enthusiasm of the evening occurred at my house.  And it wasn’t limited to a single expression.  Nay.  For you see, after every Astros home run (and they set a record for home runs), more than one of the watch party attendees broke into wild and ferocious home run dances.  I’m not saying whose was the best, for all were … unique.  I don’t think any were caught on video, either, so you’ll just have take my word for it – they were just … special.  It took some doing to top the expressions of glee each time, until Ed and, umm, someone else, were outside in the street dancing and joyfully singing.  Best I could tell we, er, I mean “they” didn’t wake up any neighbors. 

And now the series goes to Los Angeles.  The Astros have two games to win one.  Their ace number one-A, Verlander, is set to pitch.  But here’s the rub … the game is on Tuesday night.  That would be Halloween.  We already have a big party planned to give away Bibles and candy to the children who come by (and we usually have several hundred).  Now that party has officially been expanded.  Wonder how many kids will be wearing Astros garb?  Wonder how many kids we will have after 7 p.m. (game time)?  Well, you are all welcome to join us at the house Tuesday, starting around 5:30.  We need as many people as possible to sit in the front yard.  And I’ll be out to check on y’all … between innings.

1 John 4:20-21 says, “If anyone says, ‘I love God,’ yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.  And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.”


Father, thank you for friends and fun and lots of laughter.  Makes for a healthy combination.  Amen.

No comments: