Friday, October 20, 2017

October 20 – “Playing neck guitar”

I had my first physical therapy appointment related to my neck issues yesterday.  It was kind of frustrating knowing that the therapy wasn’t really going to do any good as far as the core problem behind the pain was concerned.  But maybe it would ease up some muscles enough to take some of the pressure off the nerves.

I started them off by totally confusing the young man working the front desk.  How?  I just started explaining Samaritan Ministries protocol.  No, it’s not insurance.  It’s a medical share plan (That’s the “official designation”).  I asked for the specific documentation I needed, but by then he was so mixed up he had forgotten that he had already offered to give them to me once, then pulled them back.  It wasn’t until the therapist came up there with me after the appointment and referred to it as a “co-op” that the kid finally handed me off to a more experienced clerk who had just arrived for work.  Realizing what I was asking for, she called her supervisor, who told her not to give me the document.  Instead I would have to call the billing department.  I actually did that when I got home, by the way, and it sounded like they knew right away exactly what I would need.  I’m to expect it in three to five business days.  We’ll see.  I did get a pretty substantial discount for self-pay, though.

So the appointment … 
I liked the therapist.  She seemed to really know her stuff.  Something about a bundle of nerves all coming together at the same spot and then branching back out again.  I don’t know.  I chose to forego the Anatomy and Physiology class in college in favor of one called Coaching Athletics.  That said, I felt like what I have always imagined it would be like in a chiropractor’s office (Although I have never been to a chiropractor).  After all the preliminary paperwork, she moved around behind me and said that the distance from my spine to my left shoulder blade was around two inches.  The distance to the right shoulder blade, however, was closer to six inches.  That seemed a little extreme, even to a skeptic like me.  She said the goal for the day was to get that a little closer to even.  That led to some poking and prodding and squeezing and deep breathing.  I found out I breathe from my diaphragm, but she needed me to breathe from my lungs.  I finally did it right, and she proceeded to pump all the perfectly good air out of the lung I had just filled up.  Strange.  She apparently knew some acupressure points as well.  Every now and then she would just push down in a specific spot with her finger and hold it.  Nothing really hurt.  And it didn’t feel like a massage, either.  Did it do any good?  I couldn’t tell you.  I can’t see my back in a mirror to measure the shoulder blade distances.  I have some homework assignments before next week.  I have to raise my computer keyboard (I lowered my chair instead).  And I have to stop what I’m doing every hour and do some shrugging exercises she showed me.  She closed out the session by saying, “Those muscles on the right side of your neck really tight.  I mean, really tight.  I could play guitar on them puppies.”  Well, there you go.

1 John 4:9 says, “This is how God showed his love among us: he sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.”


Father, thank you for the chance to ease my neck-guitar muscles.  That sounds better than having the therapist play a tune on them.  Amen.

No comments: