Friday, June 9, 2017

June 9 – “Connected minds”

Happy birthday today to our grandson Zakary.  Eleven years old.  You’re catching up with me, you old geezer.  We love you.

Speaking of grandchildren, we had a bit of an influx of them yesterday.  Cailyn came over for her turn at spending the night with us while Mom and Dad both worked.  She really had a hard time turning loose of April when she dropped her off.  Well, right up until we mentioned that a horde of cousins would be joining us after a trip to the library.  See ya, Mom. 

In the interim, Cailyn and Chris decided to make a cake instead of cookies for our Home Group snack.  Chris found a recipe for a Chocolate Lovers’ Cake, all from scratch.  Cailyn loves to do stuff like that, so they were set on task for the next hour or so.  I patiently waited for my own contribution to the effort … tasting.  I even agreed to make a WalMart run for the chefs.  Seems they needed some sugar and butter.  We also needed bananas.  Oh, and I figured there was a movie out there that I had been waiting for.  It was actually supposed to be part of my anniversary extravaganza, but the roses won out.  But hey, around here, anniversaries last a long, long time.  So I added “Beauty and the Beast” (the one starring Hermoine) to my shopping cart.  Grabbed a fidget twister, too (or whatever they are called).  Chris told me she wanted me to have one for our anniversary, but everywhere she went was sold out.  WalMart obviously got in a shipment.  There was a wheelbarrow full of them at the front door.  No, literally, a wheelbarrow.  I had a thought while walking around to get in some steps on my health app, so I texted Chris to see if we needed milk.  Twice.  No answer, so I finally gave up and headed home.  And what should be the first thing Chris says?  “I started to text you and ask you to pick up some milk.”  How’s that for great minds …?  Or better, connected minds.  After 42 years, I guess we would start thinking alike. 

After the cake caper (great cake, by the way.  Extremely sweet icing), we all went down town to the library to get Cailyn a book or two.  And just as we were leaving, who should pull into the parking lot?  The car full of cousins.  So we joined them back inside while they made their selections.  Cailyn then went with them to take their mailman Dad some clothes to change into after his route.  He had a speaking engagement right after he got off.  As it turned out, we just stopped for pizza on our way home, and they all stuck around until Kel arrived, showered, and changed for his speaking gig.  That put them all here when our Home Group folks started arriving.  Just a little taste of chaos.  I did get to try out my new hearing aid settings, but that’s another story.  Maybe tomorrow.

Hebrews 13:1-2 says, “Let love of the brethren continue.  Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.”


Father, thank you for that mind you saw fit to connect me to.  Mine can always use the help.  Amen.

No comments: