Wednesday, June 7, 2017

June 7 – “Anniversary Report”

Well, I guess we can chalk another year into the record books.  Of course it was a memorable day.  Every day with that woman (that would be my lovely wife) is memorable in one way or another. 

We started our special day out with an exchange of gifts.  She gave me a brand new pair of hedge trimmers.  Our last one got bent, I assume from me trying to clip something too thick and hard for its blades.  These look like a step up from those and just under the electrics.  Yes, I am pleased.  My gift to her was a carving I did.  About the only description I can give is that it is the first ever 3D Visual Verse style expression of sentiment.  I included a note to help with the explanation, of course.  You’ll have to ask her what it means, though.

We had several ideas to choose from as to how we would spend our day together.  We kind of boiled them all down to Moody Gardens new pyramid attractions or a movie.  Sorry, Pharaoh, Wonder Women wins that one.  That makes the second movie I have seen this week (one was just one of those TV filler flicks) where my study of Greek mythology for the sermon last week (Paul in Athens) came in really handy.  It’s hard to keep all those Greek gods straight.  Too many of them.

After the movie Nathan and Cailyn came by to see us.  He was delivering my new fire department uniform pants.  I haven’t decided if they fit right or not, but they are way better than the extremely tight ones I have been wearing.  I’m sure I can put up with them until I start to lose weight again (if I start to lose weight again).  Cailyn brought us a card she had made for our anniversary.  Great picture she drew inside entitled, “Fishing with your graddater.”  She knew the spelling was off, but she said she “just didn’t have enough room for the real word.”  The picture was of me and Chris and Cailyn at the water’s edge, hooks in the water.  Treble hooks.  That girl is a true fisherman. 

We went out to eat for a late lunch/early supper.  Chris said she would be happy with Whataburger or Sonic.  We finally settled on Shrimp and Stuff.  Can’t go wrong there.  Popcorn shrimp all around, thank you very much.

Last night Chris went to her ladies Bible study at the church.  I stayed home all by myself and watched the Astros on TV.  Well, I watched them after I snuck out and picked up a bunch of yellow roses.  She didn’t notice them right away, but she seemed to like them when she did.  Hey, roses are roses, right? 

She told me all about the first night of Bible study before we settled in to watch the rest of the game together.  Well, she didn’t make it through the whole thing.  She was kind of lucky, I guess.  The Astros’ closer gave up a game tying single in the bottom of the eighth and a game winning home run in the bottom of the ninth.  I quietly closed up the house and turned off most of the lights before waking her up and getting her into the bed.  She said this morning she doesn’t remember much of anything past the Astros being ahead 7-4, much less the, losing the game.

So … that was our 42nd anniversary report.  It was a good day.  And now back to the real world … we have no land line, which means our internet is out.  Guess I’ll wait until after eight and make that call. 

Hebrews 12:15 says, “See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled.”


Father, thank you for a really good day with my favorite wife … the one and only one that you gave me.  Amen.

No comments: