Tuesday, June 13, 2017

June 13 – “On bank conversations”

I went to the bank yesterday to make a simple deposit.  That all worked well.  Better for me than for the lady next to me.  She was trying her best to explain that the person they were insisting had to show positive ID before using the account was in fact in jail anyway, so they wouldn’t have to worry about him using it for a long time.  Interesting conversation.  Loud conversation. 

And speaking of loud conversations, I had no sooner escaped the confines of the bank lobby, when I heard another one.  This time a lady was having a rather animated discussion … no, argument … with her car.  Now, I looked closely to make sure she didn’t need any help.  She was not wearing any sort of device in her ear.  She was smoking a cigarette, but in no way appeared to have any electronic induced connection with an outside source.  And yet she was arguing.  She paced.  She walked away.  She took a long drag on her cigarette.  She angrily threw her arms to her side, then up into the air.  And all the while she was railing at her car.  Now, I know what you are thinking, but no.  There was no one inside the car, either.  This was an issue between her and that mechanical beast before her.  I continued on my way, so I don’t know who won the argument.  But I have a hunch.  See, the car never budged on its stance.  Or from its parking spot.  My pick would be the car.  I have to go by the bank again today.  Can’t wait to see the show.

Chris and I completed our 42nd anniversary week of activities yesterday.  We went to Moody Gardens.  I know, kind of crazy for a local to mingle in with the tourist traffic, but we heard there was an exhibit that we both wanted to see.  Now I have to say up front that we have family passes, so I have no idea how much it costs, but it was certainly worth the effort.  Somebody went to the trouble of going through Leonardo DaVinci’s notebooks and actually making some of the inventions that he describes.  Fascinating.  He did everything from city planning and development to attempting to fly.  I never knew he was such the weapons guy, though.  In fact he created some really evil weapons designs.  Scythe spinning chariot add-ons.  Steam powered cannons.  Eight or ten-barreled cannons.  And then from his artistic side there were the musical instruments like a double barreled flute along with his paintings and drawings of human anatomy.  Pretty amazing guy, old Leo.  Check out the exhibit if you get a chance.

While we were there, we decided to check out the big changes they have made to the Aquarium Pyramid.  There were a few pretty impressive sights in there as well.  They have installed what appears to be a life-sized model of a drilling rig up to the point of the pyramid.  That’s so the tank beneath it with typical fish that would swim around one under the water would feel more at home, I guess.  The new jellyfish exhibit is most assuredly a keeper.  Colored lights in the tanks make the scene almost other-worldly.  The penguin exhibit is still obviously their showcase, but there’s only so much that penguins do.  I wasn’t all that excited about petting a jellyfish, and when I was invited to touch a sting ray, I told the guy I would wait and touch the ones I catch.  My favorite exhibit, though, was the seals.  I don’t remember them having seals before the makeover, but seals to me are like giant otters.  I could watch them swim and play for hours.  Very relaxing.  Chris finally dragged me away.  We passed on the SpongeBob Submarine Pants exhibit, whatever that was.  The wait was too long.  Another day, another anniversary.

Hebrews 13:17 says, “Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you.”


Father, be with that lady at the bank.  Well, both of them.  Draw them to you so that they can have a taste of your peace.  Amen.

No comments: