Wednesday, June 28, 2017

June 28 – “Beware of the Dangerous”

Our “Beware of the Dangerous” guard dog did her job marvelously yesterday.  Stopped an attempted interloper in his tracks and actually held him there until I could get to the scene of the crime. 

Chris had already left for her ladies Bible study at the church.  I was casually watching the Astros baseball game on TV.  Suddenly, a horrendous racket burst forth from near the front door.  Oh, I knew right away the source of such a din.  “Beware of the Dangerous” guard dog was hard at work, guarding the castle from any and all who dared even show their face within ten yards of the entrance.  But this warning was somehow different.  For one thing, it didn’t stop, nor even slow down like it usually does.  Non-stop.  Louder, in fact.  Insistent.  Ear-splitting.  Oh, yes.  That’s the adjective I was searching for.  Ear-splitting.  There is nothing quite like the persistent, unrelenting cry of a deadly mix-breed terrier/Chihuahua when she feels her post is being threatened. 

I made my way to the front door, cautiously, of course.  And there he stood, transfixed by the now-angry challenge exploding from the deepest part of Freddy’s being.  See, once she realized I was in the same room, her instinct for protection kicked into a higher gear.  This was no longer about guarding the house.  Now it was getting personal. 

And still the interloper stood.  Still as he could.  Obviously afraid to move.  And rightly so.  It was frighteningly evident that one false move would send Freddy right through the glass of the storm door and onto his heel, with painful repercussions.  I watched the scene for a long three or four seconds before moving to intervene.  As I reached for the door handle, the intruder on the other side finally broke eye contact with Freddy and looked up at me.  Eternally grateful, his eyes, wide with terror, slowly returned to normal.  He took a noticeably deep breath.  As I opened the door to speak with him, he reflexively took a few steps back.  Freddy feinted a frantic attack.  Just kidding, she immediately backed away and awaited further instructions.  So did the UPS guy.

I thanked him for the delivery and asked, “So are you sufficiently terrified?”  He looked at Freddy, then back at me.  And as he ran back to his truck he tossed this simple reply over his shoulder, “Yes, I am, sir.  Yes, I am.”

James 2:18 says, “But someone will say, ‘You have faith; I have deeds.’  Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.”


Father, thank you for our little guard dog.  And for UPS guys with a sense of humor.  Amen.

No comments: