Tuesday, June 27, 2017

June 27 – “A promise to live for”

We started out on our walk yesterday, but almost immediately we ran into some rather ominous difficulties.  Oh, the dark and threatening sky and the rolls of deep thunder were certainly enough to get our attention, but that’s not what I’m talking about.  Oh, no.  Not nearly so powerful as the fact that Chris was feeling squeamish, a little sick to her stomach.  OK, maybe a bit more than a little bit.  She said her stomach was alternating between churning and calm acceptance.  Not a good combination.  We stopped after a mile. 

I spent the morning taking care of all my usual Monday work stuff.  It went pretty well, too.  I even managed to get into the beginnings of next Sunday’s teaching.  Speaking of the teaching, I received a very sweet text from a friend at church.  She read an article that said, “Your Pastor does not study the Bible easily.  He is not a Bible super hero.”  She then mentioned a certain photo she has seen of me in a superman cape.  I did my best to convince her that the picture was all a ruse to protect my secret identity.  After all, who would expect a super hero to be so flagrant as to wear his costume in public?  The perfect cover.  I really do appreciate the encouragement, though, Lauren.  It makes all that “hard work” worth it.

Christina and her kids came by in the afternoon for a quick visit before they headed to the library.  I got to hold onto young Ezra, the Nickel for most of their stay.  I was also entertained in the process by that up and coming star, Noa.  I don’t think she stopped talking for longer than a few seconds the entire time they were here.  She told me she was going to marry me, even though I would be really old.  And she knew I would be old because she wasn’t going to get married until she was 76.  I told her all I wanted was one dance with her at her wedding after she dances with her husband and her Daddy.  She assured me that, “If you’re still alive and not dead you can dance with me.”  Ah, another promise to live for.  Let’s see … She is 4.  So that’s 72 more years until the wedding.  I’m almost 64 now.  Watch out, young ladies.  You never know what to expect from a 136 year old DadDad …

James 2:17 says, “In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.”


Father, thank you for my three little granddaughters.  I would sure like to be there to dance with them one time at their wedding.  I think we could really shake things up.  Amen.

No comments: