Thursday, June 8, 2017

June 8 – “Hittin’ the trail”

We hit the trail again yesterday.  No, I mean literally.  We actually went for our walk again.  Three miles this time.  Or three point seven if you believe the health app on my phone.  I think it’s a little ambitious if you ask me.  But then, so are we, or we wouldn’t be doing this whole walking thing in the first place. 

I worked on the teaching for Sunday for most of the morning when we got back.  Well, all of the morning, I guess.  Up until Chris told me she had some lunch ready.  Salad and leftover homemade turkey pot pie. Good stuff.

After lunch I changed into my chaplain garb and headed over to check in at station one.  The big chief wasn’t in, but I got to talk to the one who runs the joint anyway.  That would be Trish, the administrative assistant.  She filled me in on what has been happening around the department that might help me be a minister to the guys.  A couple of babies are coming soon.  An on the job injury.  Oh, and promotions.  We have a few guys looking to retire, one of whom was there in the office.  I have known Mel casually for years.  Used to play softball against him many years ago.  Yesterday was his last shift as a battalion chief.  I was invited to sit in on a conclave with Mel and two assistant chiefs.  They were preparing for a meeting with the incoming battalion chief.  Lots of reminiscing about “the good old days.”  I didn’t have anything to add to the discussion.  I just sat back and enjoyed the anecdotes and personal philosophies and dreams they each had for the future.  Fascinating.  Good group of guys who really seem to want the best for the department and for the individuals in it. 

I came home to another surprise.  Chris was making turkey enchilada pie for supper.  That has always been our go-to special meal for when our boys were around.  Makes a lot and they all like it.  A lot.  So it is always a special day for me to have access to a whole batch of the stuff with just Chris and me around to enjoy it.  This stuff I will even eat as leftovers.  That’s one great, day-after-anniversary dinner.  Thank you, Chris.

Hebrews 12:28-29 says, “Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; for our God is a consuming fire.”


Father, please keep watch over those youngsters who are keeping watch over our city as fire fighters.  And give their administrators the wisdom they need to lead them.  Amen.

No comments: