Tuesday, June 6, 2017

June 6 – “Happy anniversary, Chris!”

Yep, today is our anniversary.  Forty-two years.  Not that anybody is counting.  But I heard somewhere that remembering the number is important.  Maybe not as important as remembering the day …

I spent my preparation for anniversary evening working.  I went up to the church and put up the new signs we ordered.  We replaced our handicapped parking sign that was falling apart.  Fortunately, all I had to do was adjust the binding straps on the pole a little bit.  We also got some signs that say “Drive Thru” with an arrow underneath.  They will designate one of the areas under the retreat center as a pass through lane.  Hopefully now it won’t get blocked by parked cars, and people will be able to get to our back parking area when the front lot is full.  Parking … great problem to have, I guess, but sometimes quite annoying.

After the signs were hung I joined Jim.  He was desperately trying to get a coat of primer on the handrail up the ramp to the retreat center.  We constantly strive to hold our own against the dreaded “Rust Attack” that is a constant threat here on the Island.  We got the entire first level of the ramp primed and ready for the coat of industrial black paint we have on hand.  There are still a few strips that we have to replace and weld in, but that is a skill we have to locate among our Seasiders. 

The group now staying in the retreat center is a music camp.  The kids stay all week and work toward a final concert on Friday night.  Seasiders were invited to the concert as well.  I had to walk through the room where they were gathering for their evening worship time.  I was greeted with whoops and hollers when the camp director introduced me as the host pastor.  I’m not sure I looked like anything more than a creepy old janitor at the time, but I really appreciated the gesture.  I think we are going to go to the concert Friday night at 5:30.  Hey, come on out.  It’s open to the public.

Song of Solomon 4:1 says, “How beautiful you are, my darling, how beautiful you are!  Your eyes are like doves behind your veil; your hair is like a flock of goats that have descended from Mount Gilead.”
(OK, OK.  Not exactly the imagery I would have selected, Chris, but Solomon was a pretty smart guy …)


Father, be with those youngsters as they prepare for their big concert.  Give them a great week.  And thank you for at least the 42nd time for that amazing wife you blessed me with.  Amen.  

1 comment:

teacher-mom said...

Happy Belated anniversary, Kelley and Chris! Forty-two years! Yep. You could read one another's minds by now!
God bless you and your family!
dianne