Sunday, June 4, 2017

June 4 – “Twister”

Chris and I went on an Art Walk date last night.  Well, I guess you could officially call it that.  We walked around the entire Galveston downtown corridor.  At least two and a half miles.  Probably a lot more.  Probably more like seventeen or eighteen.  And we did stop in one particular gallery to see the work of a guy who has attended Seaside.  We’re hoping it was the right one.  Actually it was the only one we could find with art by a guy named John.  His work was pretty good, too.  He does realism, so everything was recognizable.  He likes cars, too.  Great details. 

At one point in our stroll we came across Tower One, the big ladder truck from station one.  It was extending the ladder to unfurl an American flag for a celebration of some kind.  Always impressive to see Galveston Fire Department at their finest.  Nice job there, Jesse and Brad.

Our primary focus, other than each other of course, and maybe an occasional check in with the Astros, was on a different kind of art than the painty kind.  We started and ended our journey at the Peanut Butter Warehouse.  That’s where our church praise team was performing a vast array of music styles from just about every genre.  And they were really good, too.  Nice job, Jim and Dale and special guest fiddler for the first time in performance with the team, Corey.  Folsom Prison Blues.  Beatles stuff.  Even my personal favorite, The Twist.  I couldn’t help but join in on that one.  No, I didn’t sing.  The next best thing, though.  I danced.  Twisted like crazy.  I wasn’t alone, either.  All over the building I could see people spontaneously bursting into that wild and crazy gyration.  And then when Chris and I left (Hey, I had to get home and come up with a sermon), they broke into the song again, so I can honestly say I was dragged twisting out of the building by my wife.  Ah.  It’s been a long time since I last embarrassed a date.  Brings back memories. 

Hebrews 12:12-13 says, “Therefore, strengthen the hands that are weak and the knees that are feeble, and make straight paths for your feet, so that the limb which is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed.”


Father, thank you for date nights.  Fun stuff.  Amen.  

No comments: