Saturday, June 10, 2017

June 10 – “What a da(y)te”

Well, Friday was mow-the-grass day.  I guess the time has officially arrived when that is a staple of the alleged off day.  At least it didn’t take as long as usual.  That’s about the only perk of having to stay on it once a week.  Well, that and the fabulous farmer’s tan I’m working on.  Better than the alternative.  As awesome as my physique is, I still don’t think I could sell many tickets of me mowing the grass with my shirt off. 

After lunch we took a drive downtown.  Yep, really.  We went to downtown Galveston on a summer Friday afternoon at the same time they were offering tours of the Navy’s new aluminum-plated stealth battleship that is docked here.  It is being commissioned today, so we figured yesterday would be a better time to take our chances.  Today there will be all sorts of dignitaries in town.  Yesterday was still a crazy house.  Tourists everywhere.  No places to park.  Chris finally dropped me off and let me run in and make the purchase we needed.  The store was packed to the gills as well, but one of the checkers apparently recognized that I was a local.  Must have been my GFD cap.  Or maybe my Jamaica Beach t-shirt.  Or perhaps it was strictly my good looks ...  Nah.  Not that one.  Anyway, she made eye contact with me, and mouthed, “Meet me at the register.”  I was in and out in less than five minutes.  We certainly want no part of that madness two days in a row, so this afternoon we are heading out West. 

Oh, on our way home I saw an interesting sight.  Chris asked if I wanted to brave the beach traffic.  I generally always (Does that even make sense?  “Generally always”?  Sounds mutually exclusive to me.  But wait, I’m the one who just said it, so, never mind) pick the seawall route, and this time was no different.  I was staring out at the water when what should come into my view but a man dragging a huge cross.  He was just making his way down the beach front right at the water’s edge.  Interesting.

That left us with a few hours before the next phase of our adventure kicked in, so I revealed another part of my anniversary week surprise.  I bought us a new DVD to watch.  But not just ANY movie, mind you.  We watched Beauty and the Beast.  Hermoine did a fabulous job.  Sigh.  So romantic.  Way easier to stay awake in this one.  It was like a Superman cartoon brought to real life.  Maybe a little too much opera for my taste ...

Last night we went to a concert at the church.  The group that has been in the retreat center all week was a music camp.  They had staffers who taught guitar and voice and even how to operate a sound system, all in conjunction with leading in praise and worship.  Last night was their end of the week concert, and we were invited.  The kids did a great job singing and playing instruments of all kinds.  Several of the songs were even originals the kids write.  Quite impressive.  Hope they come back next year.

After that concert we made a night of it and went to the local Coffee House to hear the street playing debut of Corey the Violin Guy.  He was joining Jim the Guitar Man in a concert outside the coffee shop.  Of course they were incredible.  Probably the highlight of the night, though, came with the arrival of a lady who lives across the street.  Her first appearance was to tell us they were playing taps somewhere down the street and she couldn’t hear with the guys playing.  OK.  A valid request.  Jim and Corey were not notified, or that wouldn’t have been an issue.  However, as soon as she walked away, a coffee house worker was outside asking us what she had said.  Seems there have been some “issues” with the lady before to the extent that there was a restraining order against her.  Well, she returned for a second engagement about the time Jim started up Twist and Shout.  I leapt into action.  As she walked near me, she was so enraptured by my dancing prowess that she couldn’t help but join me.  In fact, the guys started a reprise verse, and she kept on going.  I think in all of the excitement, she forgot what she was coming over to complain about, so she left.  Her presence didn’t go unnoticed, however.  Within minutes of the song’s end, two police cruisers pulled up and began investigating the incident.  As far as we know, no arrests were made.  Once again, my dancing saved the day.

After that concert we headed back to the house to watch the last few gasps of a dying Astros game.  There was a brief respite, however.  Moody Gardens started up their summer Friday night fireworks show.  We can see it all happen right from our front porch.  Even better view from our deck.  We just watched a few explosions, though.  It was a lot cooler inside. 

Hebrews 13:5-6 says, “Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, ‘I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you,’ so that we confidently say, ‘The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid.  What will man do to me?’”


Father, thank you for that cashier who fast-tracked me.  And please be with that lady who has had so much trouble with the coffee house.  Draw her to you.  Amen.

No comments: