Wednesday, November 9, 2016

November 9 – “Simple”

Hey!  Happy birthday to my baby brother, Stan. 

While Chris was on her way back from Waco on Monday, I spent the morning and a good part of the afternoon sitting at my computer.  We are going to the Texas Baptist Convention next week, so I wanted to get ahead on the Thursday Home Bible study and the sermon for the week we get back.  Makes for a couple of tired eyes and one sorer back than usual. 

We were supposed to pick up Cailyn from school, but her Dad called and said he would be able to do it, so that built-in break time was effectively canceled.  I did stop long enough to eat some chicken and dumplings and watch an episode of Terra Nova on Netflix.  We haven’t watched that one before.  Interesting concept.  Overcrowded, over polluted earth discovers a way to send people back in time to a parallel universe’s dinosaur era.  It can’t be their own time’s era, because their presence would cause the future to change.  Convoluted and confusing, but a fun concept.  Not fun enough, though.  Best I can tell it only lasted one season.  Don’t want to get too heavily invested in that one. 

I know, I know.  I have gone through three whole thoughts without saying anything about the presidential election.  My thoughts now are simple and are the same they would have been no matter who won.  Our responsibilities as believers remain: pray for the president and all those in authority over us, obey the law of the land, encourage one another and build each other up, and every day give up control of our lives to the Holy Spirit.  So congrats to President Trump.  May God guide him in every decision he faces.  May God be with Mrs. Clinton in her personal life and the struggles she faces.  May our country humble ourselves, and pray, and seek God’s face, and turn from our wicked ways.  May God in turn hear from heaven, and forgive our sin, and heal our land.

2 Chronicles 7:13-14 says, “If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”


Father, draw us to call on you.  We all need you.  Amen.

No comments: